Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
There seem to be many that have great luck with Odyssey, and a few that don't. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I'm on my third one and cannot figure it out.
PC925 in a -10.
It IS mounted on its side (Odyssey says that's okay, but is it really?)
Voltage measured with a good voltmeter, at the battery terminals, is 14.1-14.2 volts with the engine running. Is this too low?
I make a fair number of 30-40 minute flights. Are these too short?
I do not run a trickle charger. I have used an Odyssey approved "optimizer" (I think) charger a few times to bring it back up to fully charged.
Symptom: voltage measures 12.8 (fully charged). Turn on avionics, engine off. Within 2 - 3 minutes voltage is down to 12.0. After that, it continues to decrease but at a much slower rate. It's as if it's lost the top 40% of its capacity. It does always start just fine.
UIKeyInputLeftArrow

By chance, do you locally ground the battery and use the airframe for grounds?

Carl
Old 04-04-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
UIKeyInputLeftArrow

By chance, do you locally ground the battery and use the airframe for grounds?

Carl
Yes, battery is grounded locally, in the tail. Avionics are grounded to a copper buss bar on the aft side of the subpanel.
Good point. Now I can't recall exactly how I measured the battery voltage with the engine running - if I used the negative terminal, or a local ground. I should re-check. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
There seem to be many that have great luck with Odyssey, and a few that don't. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I'm on my third one and cannot figure it out.
PC925 in a -10.
It IS mounted on its side (Odyssey says that's okay, but is it really?)
Voltage measured with a good voltmeter, at the battery terminals, is 14.1-14.2 volts with the engine running. Is this too low?
I make a fair number of 30-40 minute flights. Are these too short?
I do not run a trickle charger. I have used an Odyssey approved "optimizer" (I think) charger a few times to bring it back up to fully charged.
Symptom: voltage measures 12.8 (fully charged). Turn on avionics, engine off. Within 2 - 3 minutes voltage is down to 12.0. After that, it continues to decrease but at a much slower rate. It's as if it's lost the top 40% of its capacity. It does always start just fine.
When in doubt, go to the source.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...M-002_1214.pdf

According to Odyssey, your a/c charge voltage is too low.
(pages 13 & 14)

Charlie
Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarr View Post
Coming up on my sixth year with the Odyssey. Many on our field have equally impressive results. Do you, by chance, keep it on a tender? They don't seem to like that.
Only goes on tender/charger when I have something on or forgot the master on ( only once or twice). My battery lays flat.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM

This Odyssey 680 is 2 years old and is about toast. Today when I turned on the EFIS it showed 12.2 volts. After raising the flaps and turning on the electric fuel pump it dropped to 12.0 V. Its been about 10 days since I've flown last. My flights are about 45 mins long. Alt volts are 14.6V after start up. I'm considering a battery tender on a timer to see if I can milk it for a couple more months. Just postponing the inevitable.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
This Odyssey 680 is 2 years old and is about toast. Today when I turned on the EFIS it showed 12.2 volts. After raising the flaps and turning on the electric fuel pump it dropped to 12.0 V. Its been about 10 days since I've flown last. My flights are about 45 mins long. Alt volts are 14.6V after start up. I'm considering a battery tender on a timer to see if I can milk it for a couple more months. Just postponing the inevitable.
Any battery can loose capacity, especially if it is abused. As example, was the battery ever run flat, like when you leave the master on? Anytime this happens or if you need to "jump" the plane assume the battery dead - pull it and let it have its new life in a lawn tractor. No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender.

BTW, a PC-625 is a little lighter and has a little more ah capacity compared to a PC-680. I run two of these in each plane I built to make sure I hit my design electrical capacity for IFR work.

Carl
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Any battery can loose capacity, especially if it is abused. As example, was the battery ever run flat, like when you leave the master on? Anytime this happens or if you need to "jump" the plane assume the battery dead - pull it and let it have its new life in a lawn tractor. No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender.

BTW, a PC-625 is a little lighter and has a little more ah capacity compared to a PC-680. I run two of these in each plane I built to make sure I hit my design electrical capacity for IFR work.

Carl
Thanks Carl.

I've never run this battery flat. Never left the master on. We had a cold spell here in California. Nothing like you folks get back east. The only thing that changed in my electrical system was the addition of a Garmin GTX 345 and Aera 660. Both of those are off with the master.

"No Odyssey battery should ever need a tender." My last one didn't. This one needs a lawn tractor, if only I had lawn.

I didn't know the 625 had more ah than the 680. Will it fit in the same box?

I'm really thinking of going with the EarthX 925 to off set the addition of my smoke system.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Default Good Batteries

I just replaced my PC 680 after 9 years service with another PC 680. The old one was still showing 14.2 v but felt it was time to change. It has been trouble free and I don't use a battery tender. I did notice the old one shows 220 CCA on the label, the new one shows only 170. Same p/n, etc... Anybody know anything about this?

If I could just find a oil pressure transducer that would last beyond 10 hrs I would be fine

Rod Estep
RV8 F/I, C/S prop
Steam gauges

Dues payed
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I'm using EarthX now. Love it. Will never go back.
What he said!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guy View Post
...I did notice the old one shows 220 CCA on the label, the new one shows only 170. Same p/n, etc... Anybody know anything about this?
Therein lies the problem. Another compelling reason to consider the EarthX 925.