Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Default RV4 looking

Hi Guys.

Am looking at buying a used RV4, what section of this forum would best be suited to ask general questions about the 4 such as what to look for?
thnxs
Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 PM

You're in the right spot.

Long landing gear is generally considered a plus, but not necessary in a nice airplane. The heavy firewall gussets where the motor mount attaches is a definite plus, since there have been a few issues with the original ones. Check all the SB's relative to Rv4's listed on Vans Aircraft website. You get the most for your money in an RV aircraft with an RV4 - as long as you can fit in it comfortably. RV4's have been around a long time, so there is some variation in price, based on condition and installed equipment usually, but the difference isn't as great as it is in other RV models. At the low end you might be around $35K and at the high end around $60-65K, with very few at the high end because of outdated equipment. For a fun flying, almost always VFR flyer - you can't beat an RV4.
RV-14 Wings - sold 2014
RV4 - Flying
Cessna 182RG - flying
New RV8 - Under construction
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks Scott. Have been doing a bit of research on the 4 and apart from the tight cockpit (am 6ft) I don't see too many issues. I'd like an 8 but by all accounts other than it being larger there isn't a lot in it. I would prefer a CS prop with 160HP but a few I have chatted to say the FP prop is a better combo, wondering what others in here think of this? I like the tandem seating, not into the 6 or 7's especially the A versions, might as well buy a Cherokee...lolol
I'm down under so choice are limited here, there are a few 4's FP on the market but rarely see a CS version. Most that are for sale are 1990-2000 models varying between 400hrs -1400+hrs, some are getting long in the tooth:-)
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Thanks Scott. Have been doing a bit of research on the 4 and apart from the tight cockpit (am 6ft) I don't see too many issues. I'd like an 8 but by all accounts other than it being larger there isn't a lot in it. I would prefer a CS prop with 160HP but a few I have chatted to say the FP prop is a better combo, wondering what others in here think of this? I like the tandem seating, not into the 6 or 7's especially the A versions, might as well buy a Cherokee...lolol
I'm down under so choice are limited here, there are a few 4's FP on the market but rarely see a CS version. Most that are for sale are 1990-2000 models varying between 400hrs -1400+hrs, some are getting long in the tooth:-)
Letís see, mine is from 1983, has 3025 hours, is well kept up and is still a 60k airplane. It all depends on the airplane, their is great ones that are 30 years old and junk that are new, theirs great new ones too and junky 30 year old ones also, judge the airplane sitting in front of you not the age and also remember there has only ever been 1400 of these reported to ever have flown so your choices may be rather limited, limit that choice further to only new ones with CS props and suddenly your choices become maybe one or two airplanes or maybe zero.
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Adrian, welcome aboard the good ship VAF
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys for further info.
I am aware of age verses condition, have been in the aviation game over 37 yrs recently retiring from the Airlines. Have owned a few planes in the past. The way I tend to think is resale value as well as value that suits me. I've used this philosophy in real estate as well over the years & have done okay:-)
I know that Vans A/C with high hrs are not sort after like they are if only a few hundred unless of course they are cheap, that's just the way it is down under.
I have a 7ECA '79 model with 1100+ hrs on it, i only bought it cause it had very low hrs, seems everyone wants mine now !:-)
Anyway was more seeking to find out what to look for with the 4 other than obvious poor workmanship & finish, any help in this area would be appreciated thanks.

A:-)

P.s...thanks "Mike S"............always wanted to be part of an Airforce:-)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Default Things I like about my 4

Here are the features I like about my 4. It has 180 HP, Hartzell CS blended airfoil prop, James wheel fairings, and on a standard day it will do 185 KTAS. The 4 just does a lot for a little. I'm happy!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Hey Jon, welcome to VAF
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM

I love my 4
Long gear,
Wing tips
Pressure recovery wheel pants
160 hp
FP prop
Normally 205 TAS
Strap it on and fly!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...1ZybHdvUENDdFk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...DBpajFBWlprWU0

Last edited by Xkuzme1 : 04-02-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJB View Post
Here are the features I like about my 4. It has 180 HP, Hartzell CS blended airfoil prop, James wheel fairings, and on a standard day it will do 185 KTAS. The 4 just does a lot for a little. I'm happy!
Oh that would be sweet, 180 gee gee's & CS.........stop teasing me:-)