- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Mentor & basics class

Excellent advice on getting to a basics class. This will be cost effective because you will have a better idea of which tools to purchase (and from which vendors), your confidence will be up, and your 'product' will be much better.

You gotta find a mentor. Doesn't have to be an RV-10 builder - just someone who has built an aluminum airplane - preferably and RV. There must be more than a few RV builders there in BC. Search this blog - go to the nearby airports and look for someone who is flying an RV. EAA has been of no help to me but there are really good chapters out there.

Find someone to help you at least into the empennage/tail cone finish. I have built a lot of stuff in my lifetime but have found that building an RV-12 has offered new challenges and new skills to learn.

My mentor has helped me immeasurably. Make this some kind of priority.

A few years from now, you will look back on this building experience as one of the highlights of your life - you will learn an unbelievable amount of 'stuff'.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:05 AM

After you are satisfied that the fluting has straitened the holes lay the rib flat on the table and run a set square along the table and against the flange and adjust the flange so there is no gap between the set square and the flange. It's important you get the skin and flange to lay flat against each other prior to riveting. If you don't a buckle in the skin will be evident especially with the thinner skins.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!