- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
As opposed to?

Jim
As opposed to 100 hours, per the maintenance manual.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 03-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
As opposed to 100 hours, per the maintenance manual.
OK thanks. I thought that was probably what you were driving at.

I would imagine that he was referring to what you mention in your post #6: "Perform maintenance checks according to the latest Maintenance Manual" - and notes that more frequent oil changes are probably beneficial. I know that I change oil every 50 hours, even though I use unlead, non ethanol mogas almost exclusively, just for that reason.

By the way I googled the Fisher Celebrity you're building. Very nice airplane! Are you using the welded steel fuselage or built up wood? Do you have a build thread anywhere? Is that what your Rotax engine is for? Lots of questions.

Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 AM

The Rotax is in my RV-12. I could bolt another one onto the biplane, but I really have no idea what engine that will get yet. There's something to be said for a radial on a wood biplane...

I've had one or two people tell me that the factory specified oil change interval is 50 hours. I had been changing mine at 50; I decided to go 100 hours this time around and have an oil analysis done when I change it. I haven't had the analysis done before, but plan to from now on. It's not too expensive and gives a way to watch trends over time.

I'm building an all-wood Celebrity. The steel tube fuselage was offered for a few years, I guess, but not recently. I'm really just getting started, working my way through a whole bunch of wing ribs. I do have a build log at http://www.botkin.org/biplane/. I just wanted something for those warm summer days when all I want to do is go for a motorcycle ride, but we're getting rid of the bike due to all of the driverless vehicles. You know, the ones with someone occupying the left front seat as the car wanders more-or-less down the road while they text and update their Facebook status. Had to be a biplane, two seats, LSA, all wood, didn't want to weld. That narrows the field right down!

Basically, I spent 3 years building an RV-7, sold that project and bought the RV-12, and discovered (much to my surprise) that I miss building. Didn't much miss the cleco-drill-disassemble-debur-dimple-cleco-rivet cycle though.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid