VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-04-2017, 09:03 AM

Well, this is really cool! Clean setup. Keep us posted!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Dues paid 2017

Dietrich:
Looks like some sort of secreted resin...

Hicks:
Yeah, but secreted from *what*?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Is that 3 batteries on the firewall?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 AM

I believe Caleb's induction tube will be fine here. The bends are smooth and the inside area is larger than the TB aperture minus the shaft and blade area by a fair amount. The TB already has a lot more area than the Marvel carb venturi. You can always see what MAP is vs. baro to find out if there is a loss here at WOT and high rpm.

Dave Ander's temperature testing of his injectors mounted under the cylinders found them within acceptable ranges but more temp data is always good as this location is slightly different. Have to watch the IR off the exhausts down low.

I see your earlier pix showed a loop type rail system and later the individual lines.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 03-04-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 AM

I didn't mean to imply that the induction tube setup is going to be a performance detriment (compared to the Vans setup), only that is is not "optimal". Truth be told, the difference between this setup and "optimal" is likely very slight, perhaps immesurable, but is likely there. You do have my respect for developing and executing a solution however. Nice to see you didn't throw in the towel just because the part you needed wasn't available from a vendor.

I would suggest a small drain hole at the bottom of the tube if you don't have sniffle valves though. That airbox looks like a great funnel for water!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work

Last edited by Toobuilder : 03-04-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Is that 3 batteries on the firewall?
Sure is... My airplane turned out quite tailheavy. After removing the Subaru. I moved everything as far forward as I could, and added a prop spacer, but was still looking at exceeding the aft limit with 2 passengers and bags. I decided to add a 3rd standby battery on a switch to my critical bus instead of adding lead. Not sure why my airplane is so tailheavy. I'm guessing a combination of the lightweight 360(no mags, carb, or accessories) and the fact that my plane was painted clearcoat.... And lots of it by the original builder.

Caleb
Old 03-04-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalrv7 View Post
Sure is... My airplane turned out quite tailheavy. After removing the Subaru. I moved everything as far forward as I could, and added a prop spacer, but was still looking at exceeding the aft limit with 2 passengers and bags. I decided to add a 3rd standby battery on a switch to my critical bus instead of adding lead. Not sure why my airplane is so tailheavy. I'm guessing a combination of the lightweight 360(no mags, carb, or accessories) and the fact that my plane was painted clearcoat.... And lots of it by the original builder.

Caleb
I don't claim to be an authority on the -7A, but a 360, a Hartzel on a spacer and 3 batteries on the firewall... That just doesn't pass the giggle test.

Are you confident in the W&B? Maybe some other -7 owners can jump in and set me straight, but without a smoking gun driving weight in the tail, it seems more likely that its a simple math error.

Not being critical, just seems like a red flag.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 03-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I moved everything as far forward as I could, and added a prop spacer, but was still looking at exceeding the aft limit with 2 passengers and bags. I decided to add a 3rd standby battery on a switch to my critical bus instead of adding lead.
Seems like a PC680 at 48" aft of datum would have moved the CG about 1/2", tops. Am I wrong? Don't have a 7A W&B spreadsheet handy.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM

I've been hoping to find a brick of lead in the tail... But no luck yet. I'm almost embarrassed to say how heavy it is! I weighed it on some borrowed car scales. 1168 total. 452 left main, 445 right, and 271 on the nose. The plane has at least 3 layers of paint on the exterior, and the inside of all the structures were painted heavily by the builder. Maybe someone has some data about cg before and after paint?

Caleb

Last edited by Norcalrv7 : 03-04-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:11 PM

The 6 cylinder Sube is no lightweight. Paint looks better than than a lump of lead although maybe not as efficient.

This weighs about the same as my 6A. I have one 680 between the rudder pedals and another similar sized battery just aft of the baggage bay.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I've been hoping to find a brick of lead in the tail... But no luck yet. I'm almost embarrassed to say how heavy it is! I weighed it on some borrowed car scales. 1168 total. 445 left main, 452 right, and 261 on the nose. The plane has at least 3 layers of paint on the exterior, and the inside of all the structures were painted heavily by the builder. Maybe someone has some data about cg before and after paint?

Caleb
That nose seems awfully light!

My own 7A numbers are MLG 444/442, NLG 302, 1188 total (chubby girl I know).
Other examples of 7A's with CS props I've weighed:
439/436/292
432/444/309
428/425/306

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154