VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Default Caleb lesher SDS EFI RV-7A

After removal of my Subaru engine, my fully Electronic fuel injected IO360 is alive. I am using SDS EFI's latest cylinder mount injectors, and dual coil packs for ignition. I have Fly EFII's bus manager system with dual batteries, and dual Walbro fuel pumps. First start occurred yesterday at last!

While a "traditionalist" airport mechicic watched in amazement, it started on the second blade, and I was quickly able to tune fuel mixtures on the panel mount tuner to a buttery smooth idle.
My experience with SDS EFI has been excellent. Beautiful high quality cnc parts, and very quick and personal help via email from Ross.

With a background in efi cars and tuning, I am excited to get my RV7 back in the air and begin exploring the possibilities!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM

Congrats Caleb. Look forward to your impressions and numbers on the EFI Lycoming vs. your old Sube.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 412.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Old 03-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Subie Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalrv7 View Post
After removal of my Subaru engine, my fully Electronic fuel injected IO360 is alive. I am using SDS EFI's latest cylinder mount injectors, and dual coil packs for ignition. I have Fly EFII's bus manager system with dual batteries, and dual Walbro fuel pumps. First start occurred yesterday at last!...
Did you have an Egg Subie; or develop your own? How many hours did you fly it, prior to beginning the replacement? I for one would also enjoy seeing some pictures of your injector boss installations, where you located the coils, etc. Fly safe!

Doug

RV-9a Mazda 13B/FWF
Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 PM

I think you've seen this before probably https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUzURMUe0MU

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 412.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlomheim View Post
Did you have an Egg Subie; or develop your own? How many hours did you fly it, prior to beginning the replacement? I for one would also enjoy seeing some pictures of your injector boss installations, where you located the coils, etc. Fly safe!

Doug

RV-9a Mazda 13B/FWF
Hi Doug. My airplane was originally a Eggenfellner engine package. The airframe itself flew 692 hours under Subaru power before I removed it. This was accomplished however with several different engine and gearbox combinations.

Caleb
Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Very clean installation Caleb. Looks like you have the EFI grin to go along with the RV grin!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:32 AM

I used Ross's Throttle body, and didn't want a scoop, so this is what I came up with. I Used a metal piece of aluminum tube in the shape I wanted, then carved a foam block for a transition. It holds a K&N Filter in the left cowling baffling.

Last edited by Norcalrv7 : 03-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Very interesting that you are using the primer boss holes for the injectors. Those have even a better shot at the valve than the std Lycoming location on top, but are tough to cowl up. I'd use that location if I could but the Rocket cowl is just too tight. Looking forward to hearing how they work in service... I may end up blistering my cowl for clearance.

Clever solution for your airbox, but I suspect you are going to suffer some duct losses with that long, parralel wall tube. I'm sure it will run just fine, but I think you are leaving some "free" power on the table.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Very interesting that you are using the primer boss holes for the injectors. Those have even a better shot at the valve than the std Lycoming location on top, but are tough to cowl up. I'd use that location if I could but the Rocket cowl is just too tight. Looking forward to hearing how they work in service... I may end up blistering my cowl for clearance.

Clever solution for your airbox, but I suspect you are going to suffer some duct losses with that long, parallel wall tube. I'm sure it will run just fine, but I think you are leaving some "free" power on the table.
While I was looking at the Cylinders, I saw that the primer hole had (what looked like at least) a better angle for the intake valve compared to what I have seen in cars. Since I am using a prop extension and a long cowling, I have the room to the try it and see how it works out. I am a little concerned about their temperature in this location. I plan on doing some measuring, and possibly building some blast tubes for them here. I will report back!

Some of the earlier pictures also show a fuel rail loop that went all the way from one side of the engine to the other. I think this would theoretically be a better fuel rail design, but was too messy/complicated for my liking. According to Ross, there haven't been any vapor lock issues with the individual lines, plus they sure look nice.

The intake was one of my first attempts at composites. I am happy with how it turned out, But as you mentioned its shape it not optimal. Its on the list of possible improvements for the future!

Thanks for the interest.

Caleb