Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkuzme1 View Post
I still don't understand how one would mount this. (In general, I know nothing about PAR36-style lights.) There is no built-in place to screw a bracket onto it. The only thing I can think is that one could drill holes in the heat sink fins on the back and attach a bracket that way. Any guidance?

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 02-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 PM

I hope this isn't something you already know. It seems like the stock Vans setup wedges the lip of the bulb between 2 pieces of aluminum (??). The MR16 halogens are just a bulb like the LED bulb being discussed here. I would think a part or two would have to be fabricated to mount these new bulbs.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
I still don't understand how one would mount this. (In general, I know nothing about PAR36-style lights.) There is no built-in place to screw a bracket onto it. The only thing I can think is that one could drill holes in the heat sink fins on the back and attach a bracket that way. Any guidance?
I thought I would try one of these landing lights but same for me, I couldn't determine how to mount it so I thought I would try a couple designs and print from plastic.

Here's the first design printing now. I'm trying to move the lens as far fwd as possible to be able to point the light properly past the leading edge of the fairing. the mount can be rotated at install to achieve the proper angle.... if it fits. rotate the black and grey for angle. it is going to look goofy. any other ideas appreciated.

Simplicity is the art in design.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-15-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:05 AM

Default mount idea

prototype of the base. coarse print for speed. a couple more parts to design and print yet. not bad for a couple hours work. obviously, you don't need all the holes for mounting. they are for clocking options to achieve angle. yet to be determined, will it fit? I didn't have a model of the wingtip lens so this will be trial and error. base weight = 0.19 lb

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-16-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 AM

Concerning the "mounting problem"... Pictures seem to indicate these are secured just like regular old automotive headlights used to be - and in fact, appear to be a direct replacement for them. Why not just run down to the local wrecking yard and grab a bucket and ring from the first pre 1980 car you see?

Or am I missing something?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Oh great! The Amazon ad says currently unavailable!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
prototype of the base. coarse print for speed. a couple more parts to design and print yet. not bad for a couple hours work. obviously, you don't need all the holes for mounting. they are for clocking options to achieve angle. yet to be determined, will it fit? I didn't have a model of the wingtip lens so this will be trial and error. base weight = 0.19 lb

Steve,
Very nice print!! I will have to remember this when I install my lights this summer.
Dave

Dues paid Dec 16
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDale View Post
Oh great! The Amazon ad says currently unavailable!
that's just my luck. I only purchased one.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
that's just my luck. I only purchased one.
That's really cool, Steve. Above my capabilities though!

My current plan is just to drill through a couple of the cooling fins on the back and attach it to a U-bracket with some #6 screws. Then attach that to my Duckworks bracket. Though I don't think these lights are any brighter than my current 100W halogens, I should be able to move them much closer to the leading edge of the wing for better light coverage. We'll see.

If it doesn't work, I'll have a slightly mangled second one for you to pair with your first!

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 02-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Default no way

no way this is going to fit. the 9 wing tips are different than the 4. well, I'll still finish the design. maybe someone else can use it sometime. this is what happens when you don't have a model of the design space, or just take some simple measurements. duh.