- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Shane, To VAF.

Good to have you here, the wealth of information and knowledge here will amaze you.

Best of luck with the new unit.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Default I'm willing

RV 6 with GRT Mini-x, Garmin 327. Willing to install GRT 2020 GPS at my expense. Engineer and testing background.
760 hr
Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN
Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Another Beta test volunteer

RV-9A with GRT HXr and Garmin 327. Also willing to install GRT's GPS at my own expense.

Rick
Old 03-26-2017, 01:59 PM

Shane,

Will there be a version of your equipment for certified aircraft? I live near Austin, not too far from Waxahachie, and would be glad to work on any testing using my Cessna 172E. I don't understand why an experimental plane should be treated any different than a commercially built plane in terms of providing ADS-B Out information to all the other planes flying in the same airspace.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:29 PM

I spoke to the folks at the Uavionix booth at length on Friday and came away impressed. The unit is 2/3 the size of a deck of cards. They aren't quite ready to release a GPS, which will be required to complete the installation, but you're basically looking at an antenna, and there shouldn't be any surprises there.

The nice thing about their solution is that it electronically sniffs the information your transponder is sending out (no need for a transmon or other intermediate hardware like with Navworx). That should simplify installation - power, ground, tx/receive antenna, and GPS antenna and you're done.

In addition, the FAA had a booth in one of the building staffed with some of their ADSB experts. Without prompting, they mentioned Uavionix as a vendor which seems to be going at things the right way. Their (the FAA's) recommendation was to ask the "experimental" vendors for documentation that their unit(s) have passed the compliance tests. Don't take someone's word for it.

Level Aviation also had an interesting product - a blade antenna with all of the ADS-B hardware built-in. Bolt it to the bottom of the airplane, and you should be ADS-B compliant. Unfortunately, that solution does not offer "in" at this time. I got the sense from the FAA guys that Level isn't quite as far along the development path as Uavionix.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM

RV-6.
GRT Sport 200 SX EFIS.
DualGPS 170 ADS- B In feeds to the GRT via USB hub and portable devices via bluetooth.
KT-76A.

Will put the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 GPS into the EFIS as position source or the SkyFYX 2020. I think I need to use the GRT WAAS as it comes with added serial ports.

The GRT EFIS altimeter feeds the encoded altitude of the KT-76A via grey code out.

Going in question, when squawking 1200, will the N# and ICAO octal randomize?

Last edited by moosepileit : 04-09-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Default ADS-B Testing Australia

Hi Shane,

I have emailed in direct to your company, however, no reply, so thought I would drop a line here.

I am happy to test ADS-B in in Australia as we only have 1090 down here and no UAT.

I have been working with AFS for years on the options of ADS-B in technology, especially for this market and would be happy to help.

Happy for a PM.

Regards,
Andrew.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Level Aviation also had an interesting product - a blade antenna with all of the ADS-B hardware built-in. Bolt it to the bottom of the airplane, and you should be ADS-B compliant. Unfortunately, that solution does not offer "in" at this time. the development path as Uavionix.
For those with a portable GPS like iFly 740, add a uAvionix Ping (ADS-B IN) that plugs into the GPS USB port and you are good to go for an additional $135.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
...Will put the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 GPS into the EFIS as position source or the SkyFYX 2020. I think I need to use the GRT WAAS as it comes with added serial ports...
I have a dual GRT SX display with a 327. I did purchase the uAvioni echoUAT unit (my intention was to just window shop this year...but I liked what I saw) and also decided to go with the GRT Safe-Fly GPS. I liked the added serial ports feature of the the GPS because I am currently using all but one of my EFIS ports.

The only disappointment was that the uAvioni unit was not discounted at the show but GRT had their GPS unit discounted $100.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM

I have a 9A with dual GRT HX, Garmin 327. Currently have a GDL39 with externally mounted ADSB antennae for ADSB-IN feeding a Garmin 695 GPS and Foreflight/Garmin Pilot on an Ipad 2.

Would like to sign up as a tester.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻