- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Default I suspect

that the labor you save with CB plexi you will expend doing it the "Sportsman" way, but it looks to be very worth it in the end.

I have a question, though. Should I mount the windows before paint, or wait till near the end of the build? Maybe I need to watch the 5 videos again. I plan to leave the top unattached as long as possible, and build/fit the doors while the top is just cleco'd on, so I can finish the overhead at my leisure, and keep the instrument panel on the bench as long as possible (gotta delay that avionics purchase until later to get the latest/greatest/sexiest glass, right?) - funny how these sequencing decisions all cascade, and how they march to the tune of the family budget...

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Actually, once you do the first, it goes quick. The other thing is since I will not be glassing over all the windows, I save tons of time there. Since I will be taking the plane to a paint shop, I left the edge of the joggle unpainted and the 1/8 inch gap between the window edge and the joggle edge unfilled. I will have the paint shop paint up to the window edge, then after I get the plane back I will fill the gap in with Silpruf and do a final fillet. You slightly round the exposed window edges prior to install, so when you do the final fill and fillet, there is no exposed lip on the windows.

For the build, fitted and temporarily mounted the top, bolted it down, did the door and fitted them to the top. Pulled it all off and stored. Did all my interior work, fill paint etc on the top, doors, did all the wiring I could, etc. when I ran out of things I could do, top went on, windscreen and fairing went on, doors went on (after windows were installed), now my panel and some finish up, wiring. It worked out well.

Last edited by togaflyer : 04-21-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Fantastic work

Thank you for sharing your experience!! How did you seal up the bottom of the windscreen? Did you only use silpruf along the bottom edge. Just curious how you managed this part since there is no joggle along the bottom. Thank you again for leading the way.

Ron
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 PM

just coated the bottom of the fairing with Silpruf, then clecos it down, cleaned the edges and pulled 1/4 inch tape (set along the top and bottom edges) for a nice edge. It leaves a thin layer, so its sealed, but not raised.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 AM

Brilliant!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
just coated the bottom of the fairing with Silpruf, then clecos it down, cleaned the edges and pulled 1/4 inch tape (set along the top and bottom edges) for a nice edge. It leaves a thin layer, so its sealed, but not raised.
OK, Rich, it didn't happen unless there are pictures!

I think we all want to see how your windows turned out. If you are even half as pleased with yours as I am with mine in our Sportsman, you'll be a very happy man indeed!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:13 PM

Pictures?
RV-7, SOLD
Old 05-06-2017, 10:17 PM

My first picture posting try out. Well it looks like I did it, posting the pictures that it. The important thing regarding the installation of this fairing is when my wife saw it and said she loves it. So, I got the seal of approval I needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by togaflyer : 05-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 PM

Very nice job on the front glass!

-Marc
Old 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Side/door window pics?
RV-7, SOLD