VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Default Headset confusion

I decided to confirm that my headsets were all hooked up and working, com radio and intercom. They didn't, and in checking I noticed this on my plugs. If you notice there is a difference in the plugs, then also notice I had once upon a time bought a Radio Shack converter plug that is on one of them. My question is, do I need converter plugs on both of them or on neither? The headsets are both Sigtronics, one an S20, one an S40. Seems like way back then there was a problem with aircraft being wired for either stereo or mono. Which is the RV12 wired for.
[IMG][/IMG]
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903

Last edited by DonFromTX : 10-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Don,
Can't speak for the older versions of the wiring harness, but can say my SkyView wiring harness is wired for stereo for the GTR 200. If memory serves me correctly you used a conversion harness correct? Perhaps it is not set up for stereo or the jacks themselves.

The headset jacks on mine are ES-00147 (they are wired for stereo). Looking at the schematic for the later version of wiring, one can see the jacks are stereo because there are wires run to the tip and ring of the jacks. Following those wires back you will see they are connected to the left and right audio headset audio wires on the options connector that plugs into the AV-50000A module. Pins 24 & 25 are for co-pilot audio and pins 28 & 29 are pilot audio. You could ohm it out from the options connector to the head set jacks and at least see if that part if the wiring is correct.

The above info is based on my wiring harness which is the later version. That said, I would think even if a conversion harnesses was used, the audio would have to get from the above mentioned pins to the ES-00147 head set jacks.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 10-29-2016, 10:43 AM

The easiest thing you can do is to borrow a real stereo headset-neither of the ones pictured are. Plug just that stereo headset in. Can you hear in both ears? If yes, Then you have stereo wiring.
Second test, not as definitive as the first: Unplug all headsets. Plug in the mono plug (top in photo). You hear audio. Now pull the plug out slowly until the sound stops. Pull the plug out a bit more, does the sound come back? If so, you are wired for stereo.
Without seeing the schematic, I cannot say if your two headset jacks go to the same, or independent, amplifiers. The top-pictured plug will short out one of two stereo channels. The bottom pictured plug will parallel the two stereo channels. Modern panels can take this sort of electrical abuse, but some older ones cannot.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:08 AM

That Radio Shack adapter should NOT be used. Headset and microphone plugs are different sizes to make sure they connected correctly.
The Garmin SL40 is mono. The Flightcom 403 can handle both mono and stereo. Your headsets are mono.
Try putting the intercom switch in the isolate position. Pull the SL40 volume knob out to break squelch and listen for the static.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Concur with Joe's observation that your headsets are mono and will not work with the Flightcom. Had a similar experience with a new David Clark H20-10 mono heasdet, no audio. Both my H10-13.4 stereo headsets worked fine. The Flightcom factory User's Guide indicates you need to install a Stereo/Mono selection switch at each jack station if you want to use both types of headset. Converting the H20-10 to stereo was a far easier solution.

From Fig 6 on page 5" "You must install a switch per drawing above at each headphone station if you want both stereo AND monaural capability. If a monaural headphone is to be used, switch that station to MONO mode. If you don't, the entire system will not operate properly and a warning tone may sound."

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 10-29-2016, 07:54 PM

Well I will be darned! Since I get a warning tone and have mono headsets, you might have just solved my problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vaitor View Post
Concur with Joe's observation that your headsets are mono and will not work with the Flightcom. Had a similar experience with a new David Clark H20-10 mono heasdet, no audio. Both my H10-13.4 stereo headsets worked fine. The Flightcom factory User's Guide indicates you need to install a Stereo/Mono selection switch at each jack station if you want to use both types of headset. Converting the H20-10 to stereo was a far easier solution.

From Fig 6 on page 5" "You must install a switch per drawing above at each headphone station if you want both stereo AND monaural capability. If a monaural headphone is to be used, switch that station to MONO mode. If you don't, the entire system will not operate properly and a warning tone may sound."

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Retired US Army Officer
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM

This morning I unplugged the stereo noise cancelling headsets from my D-180 version of the RV-12 and plugged in 40-year-old mono headsets. They both worked without any squeal. There was side tone when transmitting from the pilot's side on the SL40. I did not try transmitting from the copilot's side. I was alone so could not test the intercom. When speaking, I could hear myself talk on the copilot's side but not on the pilot's side. My mono headsets are not a matched pair, but are different models. So the volume was loud in one set and low in the other.
My conclusion is that the Flightcom-403 will work with either mono or stereo headsets (but maybe not one of each).
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 AM

OK Joe, I had forgot about this until I decided to go do some taxi testing today. I tried 6 different headsets, in each side, both sides, etc. In all cases I have a tone similar to a dial tone. Flipping the navcom trying for squelch, the intercom, push to talk buttons - nothing made any difference. I am wired according to plans 42D-20, rev 1, dtd 03/01/12. I am wired with the original D180 harness with the conversion harness to Skyview. I seem to recall someone finding an error in the instructions, but cannot find that now. Has anyone else had this same problem and recalls what the problem was?
Retired US Army Officer
Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Don ... Just a wild guess .... but perhaps what you are hearing the stall warning tone of the stall warning vane's micro switch not yet adjusted correctly or is stuck on. A quick check with the ohm meter will tell the tale if my guess is correct.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 04-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Don ... Just a wild guess .... but perhaps what you are hearing the stall warning tone of the stall warning vane's micro switch not yet adjusted correctly or is stuck on. A quick check with the ohm meter will tell the tale if my guess is correct.
A 12 came into the shop I work at with this noise and I quickly determined it was the stall warning. Pull the audio fuse and if it goes away, that's it.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying