- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Default Alas, Poor N73HR

I ran the test-only took a whack or two to cause 1/8-th inch plus of displacement both ways. Removing and re-installing the horizontal stab--one of my favorite activities to allow me to review my favorite cuss words.
RV-12 #332
N73HR Now flying!
Austin, TX
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM

This year I noticed some play in my stabilator. I feared the worst, but when I took the stabilator off what I discovered was that the paint shop had not put the shim washers back in after they painted. The paint layer was thick enough to center the stabilator in the hinge bearing. Over 5 years the paint wore away and I ended up with the small horizontal play (about 3/32"). It was just enough to cause the stab skin to rub against one fairing screw.

So if you fail the "Thump Test" it may not be a slipped bearing.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM

Well, my bad! Mothership was right! I put the stabilator back on with the shim washers and the thump test failed again. I tapped the bearings with a nylon head tack hammer and they popped out. Looks like my well intentioned attempts to lubricate the joint only ended up wicking oil into the gap between the bearing and the socket it is pressed into.

I cleaned up everything with acetone and alcohol before applying the Loctite recommended in the SB. Hopefully the issue is resolved.