Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM

I have 2.5 years flying and 360 hrs on mine. I've never done anything special to charge it. I always power on with the IBBS first, verify function of all items powered via the IBBS, then turn on the main bus and start up.

I have done a capacity test at each annual with all items powered via the IBBS only (Autopilot, GNS430W Nav, Trutrak ADI). I stop the test after an hour, never had a problem making the hour during the two annuals performed to date.

I had two problems during the build, both of which were fixed with no charge:

1. I failed to charge it for a long time when I was building and the charge got so low that I couldn't charge it, I sent it back and Bob sent me a new one when that happened. This was a design issue with the early models that has since been corrected as I recall.

2. I inadvertently shorted it briefly probing some pins on a harness not realizing it was powered on when I was building and blew an internal fuse; the internal fuse was not user serviceable. I sent it back and got it fixed for no charge. I can't remember for sure but I think that it was redesigned to make the internal fuse user serviceable and I got an updated model.

I have found Bob to be very fair and very easy to deal with.

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Default Trickle charge function

Regarding the question of the trickle charge wire, This connection provides a very small current to the IBBS unit to overcome self discharge currents. It does not provide any significant charging of the battery, but instead keeps it in a condition to accept a full charge from the fast change function associated with the power applied via pin 1. Pin 1 is the main power connection to the product and provides fast charge current as well as main bus voltage sensing for the auto transfer function. For a discharged battery, the recharge time can be 90-120 minutes. Lastly, the product does not have an internal low voltage discharge limiter. That is, if you let it run the connected equipment down to full discharge you can reduce the battery's life. We did this on purpose as we wanted to ensure that during emergency use every last joule of energy is available to run the connected equipment without regard for future battery cycles.

Bob Newman
TCW technologies
Www.tcwtech.com

RV-10 N541RV.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 AM

Default internal short

24 months used as one of my standby for 2 out of my 3 G3X, and a GNS650 - then the main PC680 battery was dead one day. An internal short in the TCW had created an excessive draw. Replaced and all good. You need a battery tender on your main battery to keep the constant charging of the TCW battery from drawing it dead in about 30 days. Required annual testing procedures are in the manual for reliability/airworthiness. They recommend not going below 9.5 volts, so not sure just leaving on for an hour is quite desired?

Last edited by PG13 : 04-21-2017 at 01:36 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Wait...

In order to properly test autonomy of the very small and low power IBBS battery you must be sure to remove the feed from pin 6.

If you don't, the screens will recieve "feed through" power from the main ship battery.

Many people wire pins 1 & 6 in parallel. This essentially puts both batteries in parallel and you will never fully see or test autonomy of the IBBS without disconnecting pin 6 or depleting the main ship battery.

I have little faith in the small cells within the IBBS, but do like the circuitry within the unit. My plan is to keep the IBBS but export the battery leads out of the box to a remotely located, equally sized fire alarm battery.

I know of another RV who has done this and no smoke was produced!

CJ
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM

What does the vendor recommend for battery maintenance with plane stored and not operated for a week, a month, three months?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM

780 hrs and 5.5 yrs on my unit with no issues since I started flying. Test at every annual and exceeds 45 minutes powering autopilot, GNS430W, and ADI. I fly at least once every 2 weeks. For me, this has been one of those pieces of equipment that you don't think about because it just works - I wish everything was like that!

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Default TCW Integrated Battery

I have a IBBS-12v-3ah (Lithium Iron Phosphate) Have it connected to dual GRT Sport HS EFIS displays and GRT External A-429 module. The Sport EFIS PFD takes 2 minutes to align and the backup battery keeps it powered during start. Prior to installing it, the PFD would reset when the starter was engaged and the the alignment would restart once the engine was running.

I enable the back up battery before starting engine and turn it off at end of the flight. Have been flying with it for past 100 hours and it has worked with no issues. I monitor the backup battery voltage on the EFIS via the checklist menu and the battery voltage is about 12.4 VDC when airplane hasn't flown in 7 or 10 days and it is usually about 12.75 VDC after flying for 45 min or hour. Haven't bothered to perform a load test on it but so far it has been flawless.