- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Default TCW Battery Backup Experiences?

I've had my IBBS from TCW for about 16 months. It's been flying for 20 hours now. During the construction phase, I kept it connected to my main battery and kept both charged.

My startup procedure is to turn on the IBBS system to boot the Garmin system while I put on seatbelts etc. Last flight (flight number 12 or so) the Garmin system was shutting down before I even got my seatbelts on. After the flight I performed a test on the IBBS to see how long it would keep the Garmin two screens and ADAHARS up....about one minute later it started shutting down. I checked the wiring first and all is as it should be so called TCW and sent it back. They said I had a bad cell, charged me $107 and it's in the mail back to me now.

My question is, how often will I have to do this? The lifespan seems awfully short and during flight the efis showed no issue with the backup battery other than a slightly increased voltage at startup which TCW says is indicative of the charging circuit doing its thing. I wouldn't have known the battery was useless if I hadn't tested it...which sorta negates the reason for carrying its weight around.

Anyone else have any experience with this system? I find myself wondering if I wouldn't have been better off installing a standard battery in it's place. Certainly cheaper. I could have bought an odyssee for what this repair cost and if the lifespan of a nickel metal-hydride battery is this short.....why bother?
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan

Last edited by ColoRv : 04-30-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Am I the only one to install one of these?
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Bill,
I have been flying with my TCW for almost 2 years now, backing up my G3X.
So far it's been flawless. Of course I haven't tested it, so who knows.

Redline Air Shows
http://www.redlineairshows.com

Upgrade your RV from "Steam" to "Glass"
http://www.redlinethegoal.com
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM

Default TCW Battery

Hi Bill
I've had the TCW IBBS backup battery for about 3 1/2 years. For the first two years I did nothing so naturally my battery went dead. I sent it back and paid to get it fixed. When they sent me the repaired unit , I also ordered a charger for this battery. So every two months for the rest of my build I would charge the battery. So far I have about 90 hrs on the plane. When I go flying I turn on the IBBS system and it starts my 2 G3X's while I'm getting ready to start the engine . So far it's working the way it's suppose to. I didn't fly for about two months ,Feb and March and the battery went dead. Quick charge and it was back to normal. I fly about two hrs a week.
Russel Koch
RV9A
Flying and what a wonderful plane
Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Russel, what discharged it during the down time?

I think you and Joe may want to turn them on to see how long they will run your system. My repaired one arrived today and I intend to test it fairly often from now on.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM

I have the IBBS and works great but some times when i dont fly over a week or two the battery lost his charge so i use the ibbs wall charger and the battery gets charged fully again.
On Osh i ask TCW people for the life time of the battery and they told me that it has about 2 or 3 years, then you have to change the battery sending the unit.

I think i will wait until the new Li-Fe-PO4 6ah were available to change mi 4 ah NI-MH old one.

You have to full charge the battery and make a test with the equipment on. If you have less than 30 min you have to change the bat.

RV-7 TMX-IO-360 G3X and VPX Flying over Chile
Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 AM

Bill,

I had exactly the same experience as you. Mine sat while I rebuilt the engine and never took a charge again. Sent it to them and $105 later it's sitting in my office waiting to go back in the plane.

RV-7 Sold
RV-4 - Flying - O-320 Fixed Pitch - Red over Yellow

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 AM

Default What should I be doing?

I have had my IBBS battery about 9 months now while I am in the final build process. Ever few months I turn on the master and IBBS with a small charger on the main battery for an hour or so. From what I read this should charge the IBBS battery.

Should I be doing something different?
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying
Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Default iBBS

I have an RV10 with G3X backed up by an iBBS. I use mine on every flight for startup. I have had mine for four years now and it still is working great. I just did a conditonal inspection and tested the iBBS. It backed up my two screens for almost an hour. If I'm still in the air that long I should receive the Darwin award. I have been really happy with mine and recommend it as a back up and for start up. I'm also looking forward to the 3 ah Lifepo for my SuperSTOL.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Question

When I wired my unit up I connected a trickle charge wire thru a 1 amp breaker. Isn't that adequate to keep the unit charged, as long a the main battery holds an adequate charge?
Paid My 2017 dues