VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Default Two spots

We put the EFIS GPS antenna on the front baggage upper skin about three inches to the left of the hinge line and about halfway or a little forward of halfway between the wind screen and the fire wall. This keeps it out of the engine compartment, its heat, and its vibration. Your eye dose not see it when you are flying and the drag is no thing if you use a teardrop antenna. We have a Garmin 460 touch EFIS in the panel, so you just cut a small hole in the bulked at the rear of the front baggage and send the wire from the back of the EFIS out to a 90* at the bottom of the antenna. With the stiffener that go's along the hinge line you can just use plastic ties to the stiffener to hold the wire run. We also have a Garmin ADS-B and a place for The WAAS box just behind the rear baggage so the WAAS GPS antenna go's on the rear turtle deck just like you see Carl N. has his in the picture above. The ADS-B box in the Garmin system has a third GPS plug on it but the other two will override it so we did not use it as a back-up The WAAS will be recognized as the primary and if it go's down the system will switch to using the EFIS GPS as the default.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 AM

Default gps ant.

If you google 'rv14 panel' the fifth pic shows what looks like a Dynon gps antenna painted black on the glare shield. I had heard that painting these antennas was detrimental, or is there some types of paint which should/should not be used?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 AM

When the -8 came to me all GPS antennae were on a shelf on the firewall under the cowl. Seemed to work fine but the installation significantly complicated cowl removal. I moved everything to the glareshield since the flat wrap windscreen freed up the real estate. The turtledeck was my fallback.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 AM

As a follow up, the GTN 650 manual specifies a fairly significant minimum length of coax between the reciever and the antenna (with no coiling allowed). This drives the antenna well aft of the instrument panel area... Does the Dynon have this restriction?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Which install manual are you looking at, this is from the 650 TSO manual:

"If RG-142B or RG-400 is used, 1.5 dB equates to a length of approximately 6.5 feet of
cable with a connector on each end. RG-142B or RG-400 cable can be used as long as the
length is less than 35 feet. For longer lengths, use low-loss double or triple shielded 50
coax."

"For very short runs, where the loss is less than 1.5 dB, additional cable should be used to increase
the loss to within 1.5 dB to 6.5 dB. This additional cable may be coiled, taking into account the minimum bend
radius of the cable."

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 02-06-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovin View Post
I mounted mine externally between the aft end of the top cowl and the windscreen. Works fine and eliminates any chance of airframe shadowing. Perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing but it works for me.
This is what I'm doing because I may be overly concerned with the Texas heat.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Thanks for that Walt. The "no coiling" was a very specific admonition from my avionics guy, now that I think about it.

Michael Robinson
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Default antenna coiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Thanks for that Walt. The "no coiling" was a very specific admonition from my avionics guy, now that I think about it.
If the antenna is coax, coiling should make no difference as long as it is not to tight to damage. If you are using super hi tech "gore" coax, then refer to manu. For non coax antennas, they should not be coiled because this will add an impedance and cause a mismatch. So coax, ok to coil; non coax, do not coil.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Default gps installation

I installed the 430W and the regular Dynon GPS inside the wing tip and have excellent reception.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post
If you google 'rv14 panel' the fifth pic shows what looks like a Dynon gps antenna painted black on the glare shield. I had heard that painting these antennas was detrimental, or is there some types of paint which should/should not be used?
For my RV-8A and RV-10 the GTN-650 and Dynon GPS antenna went on top of the glare shield, wrapped with a piece of dark gray cloth to eliminate the glare.

Both have worked flawlessly in this location.

Carl