- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Default RV-12 audio feedback problem

I'm getting annoying static in my headset, as well as my passenger's, when I transmit on VHF. My transmissions are 5X5 on other receivers. Reception is also fine, as is the intercom. My headset works just fine in other aircraft.
Is there a "pot" I can adjust down? Any guess what my noise is from?

Also, found out the hard way that my headset (Bose A20) has a metal hinge right at the peak which actually contacts the canopy when I lift up from the seat to reach lap belt or what ever (and I'm only 5'8"). My headpiece is now wrapped in felt, so all good, but be warned.

Jim
flying 15 hours
Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Sidetone Level Adjustment
The sidetone volume was preset at the factory to what should be an acceptable level. The level
can be adjusted in the System Functions mode. To adjust the sidetone level:
1. Press and hold the Mon button for about two seconds. This will access the System Functions mode.
2. Rotate the large knob to display the Sidetone Lvl page.
3. Rotate the Small knob to change the level number. The range of the number is 000 to 255, with 128 producing one half of full rated output. A setting of 000 slaves the level to the Volume knob.
4. Press any key to exit the Setup Functions mode.
5. Select an appropriate frequency, key the transmitter, and talk into the microphone to check the level.
Above is from SL40 installation manual.
Joe Gores
Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM

Joe,

Thank you very much! I'd be sunk without this blog & you guys.

Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM

I, too, had horrible/loud audio distortion in my headphones whenever I pushed the PTT button/transmitted (SkyView system). The simple solution was to do as Joe Gores suggests above. By setting my SL-40 "sidetone" setting to "00", my audio distortion went away, my sidetone works great, and all is good.

Jim -- Ahh, I remember with great fondness the good old days at RCAP ('TUTE '69 -'73). Do they still use Christmas lights in mayonaise jars for their runway lighting "system"?? -- David
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 530+ hours (as of August 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.

Last edited by DHeal : 03-09-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM

This forum is a great resource! I have the PTT distortion, so hopefully Joe's suggestion will fix it. However another annoying little problem is that the various flashing warnings on the Skyview cause a corresponding on-off click in the headset. This applies to things like the AP not being switched on when Skyview expects to see it on, low fuel pressure warning because the engine and fuel pump are off, maybe a Skyview calibration or backup battery check that hasn't been done yet etc. Has anyone found a way to get rid of these irritating headset clicks?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:08 AM

I do not know what causes the clicks, but there is a workaround. Turn the autopilot switch on. And set the "Inhibit Engine Alerts at Boot option" to yes, per page 7-60 of the SkyView System Installation Guide - Revision T. Are there still clicks after the alarms have been acknowledged?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:17 AM

I'll try that next time I'm down at the hangar Joe. My headsets are grounded at the fuselage floor ribs as per the older plans. I think the later kits ran a ground wire back to the panel somewhere. Wondered if the clicks might be related to that for some reason. While I manage OK with a sledge hammer and screwdriver, electrons have me baffled.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 AM

After my original SL-40 failed (just past warrantee, of course), and came back from Garmin after repair, it nearly deafened me the first time I transmitted. Apparently the factory procedure is to set the sideline to the middle of the manual scale, 128. The zero setting, slaving the level to the volume control, works a whole lot better.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
My headsets are grounded at the fuselage floor ribs as per the older plans.
The headset jacks and especially the mic jacks should NOT be grounded to the floor! Insulated washers (stepped and flat) should have been included in your kit.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
The headset jacks and especially the mic jacks should NOT be grounded to the floor! Insulated washers (stepped and flat) should have been included in your kit.
Sorry Joe. The headset jacks are correctly installed as per the plans. I was thinking of the PTT ground - senior's moment.