VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Red face Stratus ESG

I recently completed installation of a Stratus ESG transponder so I thought I would post my comments:
I was somewhat reluctant to go with Stratus because I would like the flexibility to use other Tablet displays, but since I had already jumped on that bandwagon with a Stratus II receiver, I just continued to drink the cool-aid.
Also, with the FAA rebate this is a pretty economical way to go especially if you really needed a transponder upgrade anyway. The advertised cost to an individual is $3000, but I believe they are giving their dealers a $1000 discount, so the "turn-key" installation was $3000. I also bought the Stratus receiver interface cables.

One small problem I had was communicating to my avionics shop that I did want to interface my receiver. They misunderstood me and did not order the interface cable. Also it turned out you actually need two cables and the installation of another coax connector on the ESG tray to complete the installation. Appareo is not at all forthcoming with detailed information on their web site which would have definitely helped me communicate what I wanted to do. One other thing I did not really like is the design of the GPS antenna. It is a big square thing and does not really look very nice on the turtle back next to my other GPS antenna. If I had know what this thing looked like I would have looked into getting another antenna.

I am pretty satisfied with the final installation. The transponder works as advertised and I have the Stratus receiver mounted under the panel on top of the battery box in my 6. I seem to be receiving more ADSB stations than before with the Stratus box on the glare shield. I flew the required FAA test flight (which was interesting since the controllers seemed to have no idea why I wanted to do all of these stupid antics.) Got the check from the FAA in the mail, which is sort of amazing. I just really didn't think they would come through.

One final comment. Even with everything working as advertised, ADSB is still no substitute for TCAS and good eyes. Any traffic not in radar coverage is not going to show up (unless of course they also have ADSB out). Several times I have been watching traffic en-route or departing my home field as I was en-route and as they descend toward the pattern they disappear.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Default ESGi

Sam,
What did your Avionics shop charge to install this in your RV-6.??
Did you install a solid state encoder & if so, what did you use?
Did the price of installing include the altimeter and associated tests on to verify the ESGi was performing correctly?
Thank You,
Oregon RV-6
Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 PM

The total price for the ESG hardware and installation was $3000. Plus about $120 for the Stratus interface cables. We reused the encoder I already had in the plane which was an older model being used with the KT76A transponder we removed. The installation price included all required ground testing. In order to verify the ADSB out functions were correct I simply flew and requested the on-line status report from the FAA. Then to get the $500 you fly another test flight and request a different report. All of these reports indicated no problems.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 AM

I am in the process of installing a couple of USB ports in the instrument panel for charging cell phones or whatever. Of course those USB ports require a 5 VDC supply. Seeing that my Appareo Stratus ESG has a couple of 5 volt outputs, I contacted Appareo support and asked if it was OK to use those. There response was:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Appareo regarding your Stratus Power. Each USB port supplies 2.5 amps which is enough to power two iPads or one iPad and one Stratus.
Hope this helps.
Kal
Customer Support
It seems that the Stratus ESG 5 volt output is designed for exactly what I want to use it for, a nice unexpected feature.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Same route

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmansam View Post
The total price for the ESG hardware and installation was $3000. Plus about $120 for the Stratus interface cables. We reused the encoder I already had in the plane which was an older model being used with the KT76A transponder we removed. The installation price included all required ground testing. In order to verify the ADSB out functions were correct I simply flew and requested the on-line status report from the FAA. Then to get the $500 you fly another test flight and request a different report. All of these reports indicated no problems.
Thanks to Sam I went to Palmetto Avionics and had Russ install an Appareo ESG. It was a very straight forward install, no problems and I actually didn't have to do a lot and lo and behold, a check from the ADSB fund arrived in 12 days for $500.
I didn't get the ADSB in because my son's father in law was so nice as to donate a Stratus 2 for the in, plus synthetic vision.
A big "good job" for Russ.
Plus, like I said before, I will have a new non touched (except for inventorying) Navworx 600B (certified version) with Transmon, transponder antenna and GPS antenna for someone when (and if) Navworx gets back in business.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Smile antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmansam View Post

.... One other thing I did not really like is the design of the GPS antenna. It is a big square thing and does not really look very nice on the turtle back next to my other GPS antenna. If I had know what this thing looked like I would have looked into getting another antenna.

We just finished an install of one in a friends RV-6A, and yes, the antenna is sort of big and ugly.

Copying others off VAF we made a simple tray under the cowling - attached to an angle bracket riveted to the firewall and an Adel clamp to the engine mount top tube.

The now hidden antenna worked well and he just passed the FAA in-flight test for his $500 rebate.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
We just finished an install of one in a friends RV-6A, and yes, the antenna is sort of big and ugly.
I came across a post on the SuperCub forum where someone substituted the Garmin GA35 antenna for the Stratus antenna.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...nsponder-Price
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Default APPAREO STRATUS ESG (i) Installed in RV6

Purchased thru Aircraft Spruce:
Appareo Stratus ESG(i) ADS-B Out/In.
ACK 30.9 Encoder RS232.
Wiring harness for ESGi, Stratus 2i and ACK 30.9 Encoder.
The GPS Antenna was mounted on the glare shield (sideways) not fore & aft. This provided a very short & easy connection to the ESG Transponder. And I agree with Gil's comment and add that it is suitable for mounting on a Mach 2 Jet Fighter..!!
My thanks for the fantastic support from AS Avionics Supv; Cliff Vanderhyden in answering my questions and coordinating completion of my order and the technicians who wired the harness. Everything was "plug & play" and worked perfectly. Using ForeFlight.
My thanks to Tony Horvath at Speciality Aero for his installation assistance.
My thanks to Greg Ernest; Appareo Technical Rep.
My thanks to Jesse Saint for answering a couple questions during the install.
I now have a perfectly good King KT76A Mode C Transponder with ACK Encoder (gray scale); harness & tray--along with the install manual for sale. PM me if interested in a great deal.

Last edited by Tracer 10 : 05-05-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add information.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Installed Stratus ESG

Purchased from Stark Avionics in Columbus GA.
$2131 and less the $500 rebate, a pretty economical solution.

However, following installation and configuration, I still can't get a GPS signal registering on the Stratus.
The GPS antenna (yes, big and ugly) is installed on the glareshield and connected with a 10.5' loop of RG400 as instructed by Appareo customer support.

I remain more than a bit frustrated trying to get all this working and am waiting for a response from Appareo for further troubleshooting.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen.

Thanks All.
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 PM

Default ESG GPS Signal

Ohm out the coax between the transponder and the antenna to make sure the center conductor isn't shorted to the shielding.
Since you are in Florida; it may be worth your time to call Jesse Saint at Saint Aviation and schedule a flight to his location and have him take a look at it. He will have it fixed in short order...