VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #11  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
ChiefPilot's Avatar
ChiefPilot ChiefPilot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
But I'm not sure I understand why you think it's a safety issue, if the AP faults it simply disconnects and lets you know about it, so you revert back to good old "hand flying". Inconvenient yes, safety issue.. I don't think so, or it shouldn't be.
A recent trip from MN to FL saw the shear screw on my Dynon pitch servo fail at top of climb leaving MN. I hand flew the rest of the way down and all the way back (IFR plan with a mix of VMC and IMC) . I'm not even sure I would say it was inconvenient - but it sure was fun!
__________________
Brad Benson, Maplewood MN.
RV-6A N164BL, Flying since Nov 2012!
If you're not making mistakes, you're probably not making anything
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 AM
6 Gun 6 Gun is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 686
Cool auto

I think its good to be informed by other builders and know whats taking place with parts we use in our planes.
Good for Doug bringing this to light I didn't see Steve starting a thread saying there is a problem if Doug had not posted who would have known to be on look out.
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Hang in there, g3xpert and the rest of TeamX will get you fixed up.
They just postponed the promised delivery date for my replacement servo -- for the second time. They say it's back-ordered. Latest target: 5/31.

This problem continues to be very frustrating.
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Found it in the classifieds here!
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2017 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Brantel's Avatar
Brantel Brantel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newport, TN
Posts: 6,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
They just postponed the promised delivery date for my replacement servo -- for the second time. They say it's back-ordered. Latest target: 5/31.

This problem continues to be very frustrating.
Sure it is but speaking for myself, I would rather them get it right than to ship prematurely. Hang in there!
__________________
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, MAG/P-MAG, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 AM
n982sx n982sx is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 145
Default My failure mode experience

I had not posted about this because, at first, I had thought I might be the problem somehow.

I have had both servos for my RV-14A fail in this manner and I haven't even left the ground yet. I bought through Stein and have had both replaced. The problem showed up during the installation of my Avionics. First the pitch servo failed and then the roll several weeks later.

The plane is at the airport and I expect first flight soon.

I will say that the response from both Stein and Garmin was terrific. Replacement servos each arrived very quickly.

I'm glad that Garmin has identified the problem.
__________________
Bob Meyers

Building RV-14 N626KM (Registered) SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
First the pitch servo failed and then the roll several weeks later.
I'm worried I'm in the middle of exactly that scenario.

Garmin has declined to replace my roll servo, arguing that it hasn't failed yet. But I think the real question is whether or not it has a known defect. It's a consecutive serial number with my pitch servo, which did fail, and of course it's precisely the same gadget. N=1, but your experience would suggest they may have a defect in common.

I'd feel much better about this if Garmin could answer some of the questions above, especially concerning the percentage failure rate for these servos. Surely they have that information. So far, the only thing I've heard is there has been "a rash" of failures.

If only 1 in 1000 of these servos goes tango uniform, then whatever, I'll take my chances. But if my roll servo is very likely to go belly up, as yours did, I'd like to replace it now, along with the pitch servo -- rather than have it die at some particularly un-fun time, like when I'm shooting a coupled approach.
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Found it in the classifieds here!
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2017 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Brantel's Avatar
Brantel Brantel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newport, TN
Posts: 6,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
I'm worried I'm in the middle of exactly that scenario.

Garmin has declined to replace my roll servo, arguing that it hasn't failed yet. But I think the real question is whether or not it has a known defect. It's a consecutive serial number with my pitch servo, which did fail, and of course it's precisely the same gadget. N=1, but your experience would suggest they may have a defect in common.

I'd feel much better about this if Garmin could answer some of the questions above, especially concerning the percentage failure rate for these servos. Surely they have that information. So far, the only thing I've heard is there has been "a rash" of failures.

If only 1 in 1000 of these servos goes tango uniform, then whatever, I'll take my chances. But if my roll servo is very likely to go belly up, as yours did, I'd like to replace it now, along with the pitch servo -- rather than have it die at some particularly un-fun time, like when I'm shooting a coupled approach.
I don't think I have ever seen any manufacturer of experimental aircraft products provide this level of detail on their failure rates....
__________________
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, MAG/P-MAG, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:22 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 4,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I don't think I have ever seen any manufacturer of experimental aircraft products provide this level of detail on their failure rates....
Since you asked...
The Trio web page has a "mandatory SB" (installing a washer). They state that out of over 3,000 installed servos, they have received 2 reports of a pressed pin backing out.
So some manufacturers do report the statistics.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Dugaru's Avatar
Dugaru Dugaru is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Since you asked...
The Trio web page has a "mandatory SB" (installing a washer). They state that out of over 3,000 installed servos, they have received 2 reports of a pressed pin backing out.
So some manufacturers do report the statistics.
Moreover, the Garmin folks are very active in this forum promoting and supporting their products. I'm obviously okay with that, in fact I think it's great. But given their presence and participation, I don't think it's inappropriate to ask them for information about known defects.

All I'm asking for is the type of info Trio provides above. Garmin must have at least some idea of the % of failed units.
__________________
N929JA, 2007 RV-9A
Found it in the classifieds here!
Based W96 - near Richmond, VA
2017 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Mike Buckler Mike Buckler is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chatham Ont.
Posts: 29
Default

I have purchased 3 servos in the last year & I am ready to install them. I feel that garmin should have a recall. Why should I install and wait for failure of a product that garmin knows is defective!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.