VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Question Fuel Tank End Ribs

Iím looking to build a set of tanks for the Rocket and was cruising the Vans site for RV-8 tank end ribs since RV-4 parts are no longer listed. Curiously, there is a T-803-R, but no T-803-L. Is this same part used in both ends of both tanks? Iím thinking the difference is the direction of flanges or embossed stiffeners.

Even curiouser, there is an equivalent R and L for the RV-7 (T-703-R/L). I thought these were essentially the same wing? Additionally, the -7 part is considerably more expensive.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 AM

The RV-4 tank parts are not listed on Vans site, but when I called found them to be in stock, and inexpensive. T-403-R/L for end ribs, and flanges face out. Interior ribs are T-404-L for left wing, T-404-R right wing, and face outboard.

When you call Vans they will gladly email you RV-4-17A Dwg(Fuel Tank)if you request.
VAF Dues Paid 2016-2017
Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Default May still be available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Iím looking to build a set of tanks for the Rocket and was cruising the Vans site for RV-8 tank end ribs since RV-4 parts are no longer listed. Curiously, there is a T-803-R, but no T-803-L. Is this same part used in both ends of both tanks? Iím thinking the difference is the direction of flanges or embossed stiffeners.

Even curiouser, there is an equivalent R and L for the RV-7 (T-703-R/L). I thought these were essentially the same wing? Additionally, the -7 part is considerably more expensive.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?
I just went through this building new tanks for my 8 with the "old" wing.
As mentioned, there should be a left and a right. Although all models have the "same wing", there are differences in the size of the ribs due to changes of the main spar with different models over the years. If the part is not listed on "the list", it is likely out of stock. Call and ask, in my case a couple parts had to be made so it took a few weeks.

Scott A Jordan
Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I'll give Vans a shout tomorrow and hopefully grab some parts.

I am a bit worried about the availability of the earlier parts, as they seem to be selling off and not replenishing. As an example, I needed a new aileron for the Rocket and have to adapt the RV-8 unit. No big deal except for the differences in the spar (the -8 has the big lightening holes, the -4 is solid), and my neighbor snagged the very last -4 spar they had. Fortunately, that's an easy piece to make.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Thank you gentlemen. I'll give Vans a shout tomorrow and hopefully grab some parts.

I am a bit worried about the availability of the earlier parts, as they seem to be selling off and not replenishing. As an example, I needed a new aileron for the Rocket and have to adapt the RV-8 unit. No big deal except for the differences in the spar (the -8 has the big lightening holes, the -4 is solid), and my neighbor snagged the very last -4 spar they had. Fortunately, that's an easy piece to make.
A customer can still order RV-4 kits (Including the wing) so he may have gotten the last one in stock at the moment............

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
A customer can still order RV-4 kits (Including the wing) so he may have gotten the last one in stock at the moment............
OK, that's great. It would be even better if the people on the phone at your end knew that. I was distinctly told (by Vans) that many of the RV-4 parts were being replaced with RV-8 parts, and the -4 stock was NOT being replaced. In addition to my tank ribs, I'll be ordering a -4 aileron spar tomorrow to replace the one in my -8 aileron kit.

Michael Robinson