- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorb View Post
hi Mark,
What is in the plastic container above the stainless wire in you last picture? it looks to have a dark label that I can't make out,
thank you
Darin
That's the Metric Tool Kit. I removed the three metric bits that were inside the box and you can see them sitting on top of it.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Default Thanx

Thank you Mark,
I likewise have the complete Beringer setup for the 14A, but with the parking brake. I didn't have a need for metric tools and so hadn't seen the tool kit.

I did make one mistake..., we ordered the wheel caps, in our neck of the woods we will often remove the wheel pants in the winter to avoid issues with snow/slush and ice filling the pants. The thought was to "finish off" the wheels with the hub caps in the winter. Given the cool new axles with the integrated wheel pant support, they will of course be of little use, they simply won't fit.

Not the end of the world, my mistake and the axle is a work of art !

-Darin
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Those are some beautiful components that Beringer produces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
This may have been mentioned in other Beringer threads before, but keep an eye on the hardware that secures the brake disc keys to the wheel (the hex-head cap screws around the inboard wheel-half OD, that hold the stainless tabs [keys] that the brake disc contacts). In both the military and certified worlds, I've found these loose and/or missing before. Especially if you do a lot of full-stop/taxi-back ops like the Young Eagles flights that czechsix mentioned in the first post, or short-field ops with a lot of brake usage; the thermal cycling can cause that hardware to loosen over time.

Helicopter mechanic (A&P)
USAFR KC-10 Boom Operator, on final approach to retirement
My RV-9/8/7 dream may be on life support, but it ain't dead yet!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Thanks Mark!

Incredible write-up; detailed, informative and easy to understand. Thanks for all the great information. I too, wish that Vans would offer a full Beringer package for the RV-10. I'm leaning that way, but would like the price difference to come down.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Beringer and Rv10

Hey everyone,

Beringer now has Rv10 complete main wheels and brake kit available. I just received mine a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had time to install, so I cannot give a write up or report.

I can say I installed the Beringer nose wheel on my 7a and totally eliminated my flats and low tire. After 565 hours on my Rv10, all with the Beringer nose wheel, no tire problems there either. Can't wait to get the main wheels and brakes installed on my 10.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas Area
Rv7a AWC 9-07 690 hours sold 11-11
Rv10 AWC 10-10 565 hours
Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Mark,

The standard price I was quoted for all the Beringer parts shown above is $4343.
Can you provide a listing of the parts that you purchased from Beringer that were included for the $4343 for the RV14A Beringer wheels and brakes upgrades?

I have tried to get Viviane to provide a listing but all she can produce is 5 or 6 separate all inclusive listings for different packages for the 14, and they all total up to about $8042. She apparently is not too familiar with your specific order even though I emailed her the VAF link to your threads.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Empennage 10/11/14 - 6/15/15
SB Wing 7/22/15 - 8/12/16
Rcvd QB Fuse and Finish kits 10/10/16
QB Fuse substantial completion 12/7/16
Finish Kit started 1/11/17
Engine / Prop ordered April 2017
Dues paid 11/11/16 (USA 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 PM

Default Parts List

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
Can you provide a listing of the parts that you purchased from Beringer that were included for the $4343 for the RV14A Beringer wheels and brakes upgrades?

I have tried to get Viviane to provide a listing but all she can produce is 5 or 6 separate all inclusive listings for different packages for the 14, and they all total up to about $8042. She apparently is not too familiar with your specific order even though I emailed her the VAF link to your threads.
Jeff,

I worked with both Viviane and Claire at Beringer to put together the order, and noticed this evening that the final parts list came from Claire, so maybe Viviane didn't have the latest list. I emailed it to her this evening so it should be all sorted out now.

You can see below pictures of the parts list and prices in my quote. This is exactly what I received with the exception of the aformentioned fittings (1 ea. HYD-030D & HYD-024D) that I deleted from my order (planning to use my own AN826-3D Tee fitting for the reservoir connection). If you're getting the parking brake, reservoirs, and/or ALIR anti-lock system then the parts count and price will be higher than what is shown below, but even with those options it shouldn't be anywhere near $8042!

Hope this helps,
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 06-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

After I got into the Beringer listings it got a little clearer, and as usual most of the misunderstanding was because I wasn't connecting the dots that were already there.

Going with the flow for the deletions from Van's kits (your list) and will adjust as necessary when the time comes.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Empennage 10/11/14 - 6/15/15
SB Wing 7/22/15 - 8/12/16
Rcvd QB Fuse and Finish kits 10/10/16
QB Fuse substantial completion 12/7/16
Finish Kit started 1/11/17
Engine / Prop ordered April 2017
Dues paid 11/11/16 (USA 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47

Last edited by jeffw@sc47 : 06-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Default RV14 Beringer Brakes

We've been working with a few RV14 builders on the Beringer Brake conversion. Both RV14 and 14A. Having has several conversations with Vivaine, and Claire and a long phone conversation with a 14 builder, we came up with this cabin brake hose package. Its prototype, based on or stock Vans hose package, but modified for use with the crimped banjo hose ends to connect to the master cylinders and the calipers. At this time, they havent been mounted, but they should fit well. The crimped banjo hose ends are 2 versions, one a 20* side bend, and the other a 20* forward bend. This gives (in theory) alittle more clearance around the master cylinders over a reusable hose end.
Notice the caliper mounting is different than what you normally see. It is also going to change the length of the gear leg hose, and that is to be determined. I'm not sure if all the wheel pants hardware is going to clear with the caliper in this postion, but from the client mockups, he states it will. I plan to visit him shortly to see this for myself.

On another note, we know of a RV8 builder that has Grove Gundrilled gear legs, that was having issues with this caliper mounting location. It was covering the fluid exit port on the bottom of the gear leg. We are working with Beringer to see about fixing this issue, so we can make connecting hoses for the calipers, like on the Grove and Matco installations.

Once we verify the fit of all of this, Steve and I will release cabin hose packages for the 14 and the 14A. We have a project to install the parking brake valve AND an antiskid valve, so all of this will take some planning.

Tom

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/...pskzspr6vz.jpg

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/...psiyeuoxxf.jpg
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com