Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
What I would like to do in the 10 is have a system that has these preselects, doesn't allow flaps to extend at certain speeds and has a visual representation either on a Glass panel or with lights. I would like a stick with an up/down toggle and an additional up/down toggle on the panel to move to the preset positions (Not have to hold it down and look out the window to guess the degrees).

Can this be accomplished with using a Vertical Power-X and a G3X setup and sometype of Flap Switch (Aerosport or otherwise). I know Vans has their flap positioning system but that seems completely independent and more like what I have in my 172.
Yes. The way you described it is exactly how it works in my plane with a G3X Touch, VP-X and standard flap switch.

You just click the flap switch down, and it goes down one notch of flaps. Click it down again, and it goes down to the next preselected stop. Click up, it goes up to 0 degrees.

It has overspeed protection, as well as overspeed warning (like when you're climbing out too fast, and haven't pulled the flaps up.)

The only thing you need to add to the plane for this system to work is a POS12 position encoder that will be mounted somewhere to tell the VPX where the flaps currently are.

The flap position and overspeed warnings are displayed on the G3X PFD.

All these features are described in the VPX Install Manual, starting on page 56 (Rev A)
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build Blog and Travel Videos
Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 PM

To clarify an earlier question, the VP-X flap overspeed system prevents the flaps from extending if you are above a specified speed. The flaps will retract at any speed.
EAA Director (--> come to Oshkosh in 2017!)

VAF Advertiser - Aircraft Wiring Guide
New book to help with experimental aircraft wiring.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Advanced Flight

In case you are going with AFS avionics and the Quick Panel Advanced Control Module, flap-control/positioning functionality is built-in. A plan-ahead phone call to Rob Hickman prevented me from purchasing a used independent flap controller I won't be needing. YMWV depending on your EFIS vendor choice.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A flying since '98
RV-10 in process

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM

My homegrown version also has an input for overspeed. If you are above Vfe they wont go down anymore but they can always be retracted. It can use the standard airspeed switch from Spruce or TCW made by MPL. I have older Dynon displays and without all the new fancy VPX stuff so I needed an alternative. Couldn't find one I liked so I just built one.

Shawn
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM

I just moved from Tampa to Clearwater and will be posting a video of how my digital flap controller with user presets works very soon. I'm wiring up the switch bank for my demo.

Shawn