Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: RV4 or RV8 or RV7
VANS RV4 7 11.48%
VANS RV8 48 78.69%
VANS RV7 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the great replies & information supplied. Would a RV8 Fastback still be the same for weights etc.?

Does anyone know of a good RV8?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:13 PM

Ive got one for sale, but it' probably not what you want. If you find one with everything you were asking for, it's going to be in the $100,000 and up price range. Also, most people aren't willing to take one apart to ship it to the UK. I shipped a RV-4 to Germany last year and its a big job.
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Have you considered a Rocket or a Rocket Light (AKA F-4)?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 PM

You should also consider that every variation from a completely stock, plans built RV would have to be approved by the LAA before you would be granted a permit to fly.
A Showplanes fastback shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sourcing one already approved in the UK avoids that problem, but you may need to be patient waiting for the right one to come to market. A couple of HR2 Rockets have been successfully imported.

I wouldn't worry too much about full controls in the back as you are unlikely to find an instructor willing to take off and land from the back seat and for most other purposes the back seat throttle and stick is sufficient.

And with 2*100kg occupants doing aerobatics, you need to keep it light. Full inverted fuel and oil is only really necessary for sustained inverted and most stuff can be done with no inverted systems or no more than a "half Raven" system to hang on to the oil.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acam37 View Post
Ive got one for sale, but it' probably not what you want. If you find one with everything you were asking for, it's going to be in the $100,000 and up price range. Also, most people aren't willing to take one apart to ship it to the UK. I shipped a RV-4 to Germany last year and its a big job.
Hi, i have engineers who can handle all our pre purchase inspections & dismantling / packing / rigging into containers. That is all down to the buyer & I am aware of this. Shouldn't put any sellers off dealing with overseas buyers, money is money.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 PM

We went through a broker and the transaction went smoothly. we had payment in full before the plane was dismantled for shipping. Germany allows the plane to keep its N-number and US registration. Im not sure how that works in the UK.
KOCH Nacogdoches