- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Leonard View Post
We have had the same problem with the electric fuel pump not working, not once but twice. Replaced it the first time about a year or so ago. Second pump failed but giving it a tap with a hammer got it started for about a minute. A second set of taps and it continued to work indefinitely. We are thinking of putting an inline switch so it only runs for take-off and landings.

This must be a more common problem than Van's is indicating ("We haven't heard about any failures").

Who else has had this problem?
Randy Pflanzer (f1rocket) had this issue in his RV-12. Declared an emergency, landed, and replaced the pump.

Check post #13, this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=113543
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDog View Post
I had a 1966 MGB. It had a three-position light switch: off, dim and flicker.

Jerre
Same can be applied to my old TR7
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 PM

I finally after trying like forever, got a date with the prettiest girl I had seen and was in love with since 10th grade, she agreed to go out with me. I was all dressed up and went out to my MG and the lights would not turn on. Nothing I could find would make them work. She thought I stood her up and never talked to me again.. . . . . That was 47 years ago and I am still pissed at MGs.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 AM

I feel your pain. Lucas/MG had a rat’s nest of spade lug connectors in a hokey rubber boot located near the starter motor.

Maybe the car did you a favor. Remember the song… If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life - never make a pretty woman your wife...
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 261
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 AM

this is a fwiw if you ever replace a facet pump. there are models out there from aviation supply places that carry facets that have a flow valve that closes when the power is turned off. my facet is backup to a mechanical. can you imagine what would happened after takeoff when i turned off the facet? i still shake my head thinking what would have happened if i hadn't tested my new pump with the engine running.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-24-2017, 11:50 AM

FACET PART NUMBERS with an internal positive shut off valve (PSO) are listed with a "Y" in the "PSO" column. Part number 40105 is used in the RV-12. It does not have a check valve or a positive shut off valve.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Facet failure

Mine quit acouple weeks ago after 6.6 years and 340 hours. Detected it during preflight as pump was very quiet and sump check showed very light flow rate. Did not attempt to get it started using tapping method. I feel if it clogged once it will again maybe and the price of a new pump says replace me. I pulled the inspection panels (not necessary to rm tank as I split rear panels some time ago) disconnected the flaperon tubes at rear to provide working room to rem,/repl hardware w/o damaging the tubes. Takes a little time due to limited space but doable in about 4-5 hours.
dick seiders
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Inline filter?

I was planning on adding an inline filter prior to the electric fuel pump and even purchased a nicely made quality filter with a replaceable stainless mesh filter element ... but could not figure out a good place to mount the filter so it would be both easily serviceable and also out of the way of moving controls ... so put the idea on ice and got on with building.

Recently, I saw info on a new product release which is a fuel filter/gascolator with a serviceable filter that looks like it may be promising. It would mount on the belly skin and is designed to be clocked as necessary. There just may be enough room to mount this unit ahead of the electric pump with a little creative plumbing. If there is not enough room in the bay with the stabalator cables, it might just work just aft of the baggage bulkhead and then route the fuel line back up to the pump through the lightening holes.

It has bothered me somewhat that Facet recommends an inline filter prior to the pump, but we have none built into the RV-12 design. Below is a link to the filter/gascolator. At first glance, the unit looks huge ... but if one looks at the actual dimensions for the portion inside the aircraft, it really is not that big.
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
At first glance, the unit looks huge ... but if one looks at the actual dimensions for the portion inside the aircraft, it really is not that big.
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm
its just the price thats "huge" ...do think pre-pump filter is good idea especially since I usually use car gas with portable tanks which likely introduces more than its share of debris.
RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 360 hours and on second set of main tires!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Spare Fuel Pump

Of the two fuel pumps; Electric or Mechanical, which is the better choice to carry as a spare on long distance flights?