Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM

Default Desert paint color identification

Hi All,

I'm trying to identify a paint colour for my external surfaces. I've been looking for a colour that's not super glary, but at the same time has a high light reflectance value because I don't want my aircraft getting hot in the summer sun. I have found a colour that I like, which I suspect is FS 33722 (which seems to have an excellent light reflectance value), however short of calling Boeing and asking them directly, I was wondering if anyone knew how to better identify this paint colour?
Thanks.
Tom.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Is it "fs 33446 desert tan 686"?

Or

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KUS-HRF233-...B#.WPVMtlLMx-U

Last edited by BillL : 04-17-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM

The desert tan FS 33446 is pretty dark, so I'm quietly hoping that's not it. It has a light reflectance value of only 36%, compared with the LRV of 64% for the FS 33722. To put it in perspective, this FS 33722 has the same reflectivity as many yellows (but without the glare) and is only really surpassed by whites (which my tanks will be painted). Thanks for taking a crack at it.
Tom.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 PM

Default Depends

I think it depends on the picture. Here is the same helicopter, but it looks darker.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...d_remotely.jpg

But since you have the exact FS color, in what color/naming standard are you looking for?

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 PM

I don't have the exact color number, the FS 33722 is just my guess, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of confirming it (i.e. some registration database somewhere with a paint cross reference etc.).
Tom.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:24 PM

I think Bill and Chuck have hit the nail on the head. I painted a sample with the closest paint I could find here to FS 33722 and it was way too bright/yellow. I've since ordered a paint card for FS 33446 (also know as 686A) which Valspar (Wattyl) have agreed to match in Australia if I send them the sample. Goes to show how misleading digital representations can be.
Tom.