VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #71  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 PM
BruceEicher's Avatar
BruceEicher BruceEicher is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilsonville/Aurora KUAO Oregon
Posts: 531
Question Questions....

This weekend I installed the said 380/150 15 tires by Aero Classic.
I have Van's stock Matco wheels and brakes, and new pads.
I tried installing with no spacing washers between the wheel and rotor and the brake caliber touched the rubber. With two standard washers I now have about 3/16 to 1/4" clearance. I did not note how much clearance there was with the old stock tires. It must have been about the same?

What clearance do you have???

As the pads wear the spacing will get better, I assume.

Also the caliber just touches the inside of the wheel pant. Do you think this will cause problems more than the obvious wear of both parts????
__________________
Bruce, Katie, Hana and RV-8 HulaGirl
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Jpm757 Jpm757 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sherman, CT
Posts: 46
Default

I'm glad this BIG TIRE post came up. I had the stock 500X5's on my six and they were adequate, but I always yearned for a larger tire for grass strips and frozen lakes. I haven't fitted my wheel pants yet on my 7, so I thought I would give the 380X150-5's a try. Regarding tire pressure, what PSI are you guys running with this setup? I found with my six that a higher tire pressure all but eliminated the shimmey problem. Figure I'll go with the Michelin's and have them dynamically balanced and see how it goes.

Jake
__________________
RV-6 completed 1991, sold
RV-7 current project
VAF 2017 dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 AM
smokyray's Avatar
smokyray smokyray is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TX32
Posts: 1,587
Default Clearance to move about the country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
This weekend I installed the said 380/150 15 tires by Aero Classic.
I have Van's stock Matco wheels and brakes, and new pads.
I tried installing with no spacing washers between the wheel and rotor and the brake caliber touched the rubber. With two standard washers I now have about 3/16 to 1/4" clearance. I did not note how much clearance there was with the old stock tires. It must have been about the same?

What clearance do you have???

As the pads wear the spacing will get better, I assume.

Also the caliber just touches the inside of the wheel pant. Do you think this will cause problems more than the obvious wear of both parts????

Bruce,
I was a Big Tire "Beta Tester" having installed 380's on my Rocket and later my RV4 back in 2008. I purchased them after reading Steve Sampson's construction blog of his masterpiece RV4, G-IKON.
Cleveland wheels have close tolerance as well and I installed washers to allow for clearance as you did. I trimmed my wheel pants accordingly to increase clearance. I didn't notice any speed loss.

You're going to like the change however, especially if you operate primarily on soft turf or grass. Operating my Rocket from my home strip at the time "The Swamp" was a quantum leap better in ground handling especially during rainy season in FL (all summer)

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...hwheels+Rocket
Here is a thread with more info...
V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 04-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM
BruceEicher's Avatar
BruceEicher BruceEicher is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilsonville/Aurora KUAO Oregon
Posts: 531
Default

Thanks Smokey! I'll let you know how it works, or watch for me in the news!
__________________
Bruce, Katie, Hana and RV-8 HulaGirl
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 PM
BruceEicher's Avatar
BruceEicher BruceEicher is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilsonville/Aurora KUAO Oregon
Posts: 531
Default

Twice the ground clearance without raising the pant, photo taken with tail wheel on the floor.


More contact patch...
__________________
Bruce, Katie, Hana and RV-8 HulaGirl
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:48 AM
EdH's Avatar
EdH EdH is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, UK.
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
Thanks Smokey! I'll let you know how it works, or watch for me in the news!
Bruce, any more updates since you started running the bigger tyres on the Matco wheels? Any touch issues with tyre to sidewall?

Cheers,
Ed.
__________________
Ed.
RV-8 QB 81995 - Cowlings
RV-6 G-BZRV - Flown the nest.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM
mfleming mfleming is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Joseph, Oregon
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Bruce,
I was a Big Tire "Beta Tester" having installed 380's on my Rocket and later my RV4 back in 2008. I purchased them after reading Steve Sampson's construction blog of his masterpiece RV4, G-IKON.
Cleveland wheels have close tolerance as well and I installed washers to allow for clearance as you did. I trimmed my wheel pants accordingly to increase clearance. I didn't notice any speed loss.

You're going to like the change however, especially if you operate primarily on soft turf or grass. Operating my Rocket from my home strip at the time "The Swamp" was a quantum leap better in ground handling especially during rainy season in FL (all summer)

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...hwheels+Rocket
Here is a thread with more info...
V/R
Smokey
Thanks for the info Smokey...
The photos from that 2008 post are not showing up...any chance of reposting those photos or updating the old post?
__________________
Michael Fleming
Joseph, OR
sagriver at icloud dot com

RV-7 Slider #74572
Empennage (sans fiberglass), ailerons and flaps complete.
Working on wing spars and ribs.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-11-2017, 11:11 AM
BruceEicher's Avatar
BruceEicher BruceEicher is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilsonville/Aurora KUAO Oregon
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Bruce, any more updates since you started running the bigger tyres on the Matco wheels? Any touch issues with tyre to sidewall?

Cheers,
Ed.
So far so good! A dozen or so TO's and Landings, with a couple on plush green, wet grass. Handles just fine. I did cut a small hole in the inside of the pants for clearance of the lower rear caliper bolt. It was touching the pant. I need to make a small bubble to cover it, right now it has some duct tape. . My pants are vinyl covered, so the patch will be easy.
And a couple cross country flights showed no noticeable speed loss.
__________________
Bruce, Katie, Hana and RV-8 HulaGirl
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.