VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 PM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 392
Default GARMIN Interconnect Question

I'm looking at the following components:
GTN 625 with separate GNC 255 COM/NAV
GDU 460/470 (one each)
G5

Looking through the drawings, the GNC 255 has one serial port to communicate with the rest of the system; I suppose it should be connected to the primary GDU? The drawings show a choice of any of the GPS-enabled items having a potential link to the radio. Is one the best?

Also, for the NAV side of the GNC 255.... Does the 460 or 470 have the ability to show DME, ILS/VOR, etc? How is the NAV radio data read back to the G3X system for use inflight? I think that it may not, but wanted to ask.... is the only way to get this done with a GTN650 having built in Nav/Com and more serial channels?

I see in the G5 docs that the VOR heading can be set with the G5 via a serial link, so I assume the same is true if the serial link is taken to the GDU 460 instead. That also implies the radio will send the VOR error for display back to the G5 or GDU 460 accordingly. Does that also apply for ILS? DME?
__________________
<------------------------------------------------->
N1463 seems a good number....
<------------------------------------------------->

Last edited by JDA_BTR : 04-13-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 PM
maus92 maus92 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
I'm looking at the following components:
GTN 625 with separate GNC 255 COM/NAV
GDU 460/470 (one each)
G5

Looking through the drawings, the GNC 255 has one serial port to communicate with the rest of the system; I suppose it should be connected to the primary GDU? The drawings show a choice of any of the GPS-enabled items having a potential link to the radio. Is one the best?

Also, for the NAV side of the GNC 255.... Does the 460 or 470 have the ability to show DME, ILS/VOR, etc? How is the NAV radio data read back to the G3X system for use inflight? I think that it may not, but wanted to ask.... is the only way to get this done with a GTN650 having built in Nav/Com and more serial channels?

I see in the G5 docs that the VOR heading can be set with the G5 via a serial link, so I assume the same is true if the serial link is taken to the GDU 460 instead. That also implies the radio will send the VOR error for display back to the G5 or GDU 460 accordingly. Does that also apply for ILS? DME?
I think you're going to need a GAD 29 arinc box to port the nav functions of the GNC 255 to the G3X system. The G5 communicates over the CANBus in a G3X system.
__________________
CA
2000 RV-8A w/ G3X Touch, VP-X, O-360, FP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 AM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 392
Default

The missing link..... thanks! I knew I needed it but it didn't click for me. Thanks!
__________________
<------------------------------------------------->
N1463 seems a good number....
<------------------------------------------------->
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 AM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,583
Post

Hello,

The GNC 255 doesn't need an A429 connection to provide VOR/ILS navigation to a G3X system including course selection on the PFD.

Just connect a single serial port connection from the GNC 255 to your PFD as shown on page 26-15 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation Manual.

We recommend you connect the MapMX serial interface from the much higher capability GTN 625 to the G5 serial port input like shown on page 62 of the Rev. C G5 Installation manual. Note that this same GTN serial output is also connected to the PFD.

With this installation, you could turn off both the GDU 460/470 displays and still fly an autopilot coupled LPV approach with the GTN 625 and G5, and of course fly an autopilot coupled flight plan entered on the GTN anywhere you like.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 04-14-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:45 AM
maus92 maus92 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello,

The GNC 255 doesn't need an A429 connection to provide VOR/ILS navigation to a G3X system including course selection on the PFD.

Just connect a single serial port connection from the GNC 255 to your PFD as shown on page 26-15 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation Manual.

We recommend you connect the MapMX serial interface from the much higher capability GTN 625 to the G5 serial port input like shown on page 62 of the Rev. C G5 Installation manual. Note that this same GTN serial output is also connected to the PFD.

With this installation, you could turn off both the GDU 460/470 displays and still fly an autopilot coupled LPV approach with the GTN 625 and G5, and of course fly an autopilot coupled flight plan entered on the GTN anywhere you like.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, does he still need the GAD 29 for the GTN? Can he push frequencies from the G3X to the GNC 255?
__________________
CA
2000 RV-8A w/ G3X Touch, VP-X, O-360, FP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,583
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Steve, does he still need the GAD 29 for the GTN? Can he push frequencies from the G3X to the GNC 255?
Hello Charley,

Yes and Yes.

Page 34-128 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation manual explains the radio tuning support provided for the GNC 255, and it is quite extensive and integrated for a G3X Touch system.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 AM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 392
Default

What is the difference between the MAPMX format 1, MAPMX Format 2, and CONNEXT?

When the drawings are compared between different install manuals, the serial ports overlap in the examples. You've mentioned one instance where the GTN serial port feeds both a GDU (I have two) and the G5 on the same MAPMX (format 1?) output.

After wiring the GNC 255 to the primary GDU, I look at the example page 26-26 in the G3X installation and see the same primary GDU serial port called out for a GDU-GTN interface withe same serial port as called out for the GNC 255.

I suppose I can just tailor the docs to change the serial ports to accommodate everything but it would be super helpful if the documentation put some choices in it so a lot of cross-reference wasn't needed.

Are there other places (like the GTN->GDU/G5) serial link where one serial output feeds multiple inputs?
__________________
<------------------------------------------------->
N1463 seems a good number....
<------------------------------------------------->
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:10 PM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 392
Default

On further review....

On the drawing for my PFD (GDU 460), I am finding that I need:
Ser1 -> GTX 45R for ADSB data
Ser2 -> Nav/Com from GNC 255
Ser3 -> CONNEXT from GTN 625
Ser4 -> MapMX from GTN 625 (625 also sends this to G4 SerRx same signal)

I also have a GDU 470 in my plan. Each GDU has 5 serial ports.
The CO detector needs one. Should it go to the second GDU?
What else?

Looking at the Fig 2-2 page 2-3 of Rev AB G3X install, I need RS-232 from GDU to GMC 307. Haven't found that elsewhere in the docs yet

And yes, I am working with Stein to put in a panel but even if he gives me a nice drawing I want to know how it all connects up so I understand it. I also want to make sure I get every feature included..... I'm planning to wire it myself.
__________________
<------------------------------------------------->
N1463 seems a good number....
<------------------------------------------------->
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 PM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,583
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
What is the difference between the MAPMX format 1, MAPMX Format 2, and CONNEXT?

When the drawings are compared between different install manuals, the serial ports overlap in the examples. You've mentioned one instance where the GTN serial port feeds both a GDU (I have two) and the G5 on the same MAPMX (format 1?) output.

After wiring the GNC 255 to the primary GDU, I look at the example page 26-26 in the G3X installation and see the same primary GDU serial port called out for a GDU-GTN interface withe same serial port as called out for the GNC 255.

I suppose I can just tailor the docs to change the serial ports to accommodate everything but it would be super helpful if the documentation put some choices in it so a lot of cross-reference wasn't needed.

Are there other places (like the GTN->GDU/G5) serial link where one serial output feeds multiple inputs?
Hello JDA_BTR,

Yes, the installation manuals show one example of a serial port connection from one device (like the GNC 255) to a display, but don't show all possible combinations.

The first 5 serial ports on each of your GDU 460/470 displays can each be configured to connect to a wide array of devices such as GMC 305/307, SL30, SL40, GTR225, GNC255, GDL39/39R, GNS/GTN navigators, TIS traffic devices, GTX 45R/345 ADS-B receivers, third party autopilots, GTS 8XX active traffic system, GEA24 and GSU25 backup data buses, electronic circuit breaker, CO detector, lightning detector, and more. It wouldn't be possible for us to show all of these connections and never "overlap" in the example wiring diagrams.

The 6th serial port on each of your displays is on the P4601 and P4701 9 pin connector and is always configured to be a backup data bus for the GEA24 and GSU25 as shown on page 25-18.

For your system the GTN 625 serial port connected to the PFD and G5 is configured for MapMX Format 2 as explained on page 26-26. We would use a separate serial port on the GTN to provide a dedicated connection to the G5, but the GTN only allows one serial port to be configured for MapMX Format 2, so the transmit line on that GTN serial port is connected to the serial port input on both the PFD and the G5. This is the only serial port in your system for which a serial port is connected to two places.

Your CO detector may be wired to either GDU.

Oh, and we do have email and telephone customer support (see below) anytime you need to discuss specifics for your system.

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 04-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 PM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 392
Default

Thanks Steve! Part of the educational process..... This has been very helpful.
__________________
<------------------------------------------------->
N1463 seems a good number....
<------------------------------------------------->
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.