- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
I think the only way I would roll my own overhead would be if the cabinet top were able to be placed upside down for fitting a mold or forming a layup. Otherwise Geoff's overhead is a nice piece of work and was a nice fit to my cabin top with minimal extra work.
Concur. I didn't roll my own per se as I have one of the original Accuracy Avionics overhead consoles but it was a royal pain to install. For as much work I out into getting it to fit and finally glassed in, I probably could have rolled my own with not much more effort--probably less.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Cabin top is on. Doors next.

My other puzzlement is whether to roll my own overhead panel or give Geoff some well-deserved ROI on his tooling and development work.
Bill,
I haven't hit this point in the build, but be careful attaching the cabin top before the overhead panel is on. My understanding is that you would learn many new colorful words if trying to install inside the airplane. Most logs I've seen have the top upside down on a bench to install the overhead console.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFeeney View Post
Bill,
I haven't hit this point in the build, but be careful attaching the cabin top before the overhead panel is on. My understanding is that you would learn many new colorful words if trying to install inside the airplane. Most logs I've seen have the top upside down on a bench to install the overhead console.
With cabin installed it's not too bad for a nice piece of ready-made kit like the Aerosport OHC, but rolling your own would be sporty and not for the faint of heart.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Thanks, all

I'm not about to install the cabin top until all work that can possibly be done on the bench beforehand has been completed. No way would I try to mock up and create a moldless overhead console working in the plane over my head. That's insane

Now back to my other question - Plane Around latch kit is best done before the door halves are bonded together, correct?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A flying since '98
RV-10 in process

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM

On the Plane-around latch kit. Negative - You'll do it after the doors are assembled... at least I think most of us did. Sean's instructions are for an assembled door.

Once you get into it, it's not too difficult. Just read carefully and give Sean a call or email with any questions. He's super-responsive. I've made a few errors on the set up but they were my own forehead slappers after I re-read the directions. Fortunately, nothing catastrophic!
QB Wings - Complete.
QB Fuse - In Process. Tail & Fuse are one.
2016 Dues Happily Paid
Underwood, WA (Columbia River Gorge)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM

I just finished installing a 'Roll your Own' overhead. You can check out the process I used in my Kitlog (link below). I put a lot of stuff in that I wanted to configure, like lights, electrical switches, heater controls, , GPS antennas and overhead vents.

I like what I have better than those on the market, but added probably 100 hours to the build. If anyone wants the plug or mold, I have both gathering dust in the shop and would gladly give them away.

I am doing the doors right now as well. I added the center cam and plan on staying with the Van's seals with a McMaster edge to finish off the door jam. I also have courtesy lights that light the wing when the door is opened.
Again, photos and info in my Kitlog below.
Dues paid 2016
Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 PM

Leo, can you give us a detailed shot of your overhead switches? What all did you put up there? Just curious, as I plan to modify the Aerosport cover for an overhead panel and free up some traditional panel space. I really like your setup!
N127TL Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2017 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Never mind, I found it on your log. Very cool!
N127TL Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2017 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
If anyone wants the plug or mold, I have both gathering dust in the shop and would gladly give them away.
PM sent, Leo.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A flying since '98
RV-10 in process

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 04-14-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Now back to my other question - Plane Around latch kit is best done before the door halves are bonded together, correct?
Most of us install as a retrofit. Not a big deal. You could install at the same time as the plans call for the hardware to be installed. Just don't cut the gear racks per the plans.

I wouldn't put them in before the doors are bonded. Besides being potentially messy if the flox migrated, you really want the doors firmly bonded.

bob