VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 PM

I'm going to call and see tomorrow (if they're open) and see if they carry what I need.

Otherwise I'll just order it up.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:29 PM

Carry a quart with you. You will not use a quart between oil changes! The Rotax loses almost no oil.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:46 PM

Turns out they're a Rotax service center, so they'll be able to cover all my needs.

I have oil and filter waiting for me now.

Looking forward to the EAA meeting this wednesday evening!

I hope to meet some other RV12 owners there.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM

Looks like Friday is going to be my first lesson in my new plane!

I've got a great instructor, and afterwards, while the oil is hot, I'm going to change the oil and filter.

Got my test container ready from Blackstone too!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM

I bought 3 new bottles of the Plus 4 oil in the red botttles. I finally got my box of goodies and it contained an extra filter and a couple quarts/liters of oil, but the bottle color is different.

Same stuff, different bottle, correct? Black bottles , orange labels, "aeroshell Plus 4"
Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 AM

All the oil I'm getting is in red bottles, but there was a black one in the plane when I picked it up. I thought it was simply older packaging, but I note that there is a year-old revision (R8) to SI-912-016. The older revisions I had seen listed a dozen or so different oils as being suitable. The newest lists only Aeroshell Sport Plus 4. It further says to use the red bottles -- although it notes that the black bottles can be used until expiration. I've never noticed an expiration date on motor oil.

So maybe they changed the additive package a little, or maybe they just got a Rotax certification and changed the package. Don't know. But the black bottles are OK to use until their expiration date, according to Rotax.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 03-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

The Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 in the red bottle is a new formula from the black bottled Plus 4. It was studied with a few flight schools over thousands of hours. They changed the base stock a bit and the additive package. You can finish with the black bottled Plus 4, but only the red bottle is available now for purchase. They are compatible if they got mixed. This particular Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 is specifically designed for a high rpm, high wear and high shear force application.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Does anyone have oil analysis data that they will share with me ? 912 data is fine. I just got my first one back from Blackstone and it wasn't the greatest report. That said, it looks like they only have a single 914 "universal avg" and it was a 15 hour oil change. Makes no sense to me and I will call them but just got the report last night. Why even bother listing a 15 hour oil change as an average. Mine showed high iron. 188 hours since rebuild at South Mississippi. 48 hours on the oil.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Below are my oil analyses:

Old 04-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Not sure where I heard about it, but I used Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 in my Rotax 912 powered Kitfox a few years back. Got mine at O'Reilly's. Lockwood even sells it. Woody.
RV-7, IO-540 , Hartzell 80" blended CS. Flying since 2011. Classic Aero 3 tone leather int. Dynon Skyview, 261, 429, 470, dual ADHRS, Garmin GNS480W, SL40, GMA240, Anti-Splat-Aero air/oil sep, EZ-cowl flaps, Koger wide sunshade.

=VAF= donor 2017