Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 PM

FWIW, I have been flying my 12 for 210 hours in South Florida, and am tied down. It gets hot to very hot! I have a cover for overnight tie-down, but do not cover the canopy for the lunch trips, 1-2 hours on the ramp. I use Costco 93 exclusively, and to date, have never experienced and throttle hesitation, vapor lock, or similar issue.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Vapour Lock on takeoff can be deadly.
I seem to remember Vapour Lock on takeoff killed 2 people here in Melbourne, Australia about late 1970's in a certified aircraft (a Victa Airtourer, powered by a Continental O-200 or Lycoming O-235, using AVGAS).
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n74846 View Post
FWIW, I have been flying my 12 for 210 hours in South Florida, and am tied down. It gets hot to very hot! I have a cover for overnight tie-down, but do not cover the canopy for the lunch trips, 1-2 hours on the ramp. I use Costco 93 exclusively, and to date, have never experienced and throttle hesitation, vapor lock, or similar issue.
Regarding gas I should have been more specific. I was using Ethanol free gas which became scarcer lately in my area. I had to switch to an ethanol free station that had only 91 octanes gas while I had always been using 93 Ethanol Free gas. I have since investigated this issue further and found that the ethanol free gas suppliers I looked at mention that this kind of fuel is not to be used in aviation. I suspect that the reason is that they are after the market of older boat engines and classical cars. For this market a vapor lock is less likely to happen and is just an annoyance when it happens. Since there is no such disclaimer by suppliers of ethanol gas I have decided to use only premium 93 ethanol brand name gas. The brand is not that important as it all comes from the same source and each brand puts its own additives including the ethanol. Using a brand name station guaranties a minimum quality and volume on the distribution side which is what you get also at Costco.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114