VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM

Default My realistic proposal for the next RV(16)

Doug, I was walking around Oshkosh this year and there are quite a few other planes exactly like what your poll shows - although not a vans which would be better.

What is missing is to scale up the current Van's designs and make a kit of a 6 place low wing like a Bonanza, Cherokee or PA-32. It should be scaling what Van's already has. It must be single engine with the barn doors on the side for cargo and be able to carry a lot of weigh. I can see this type plane being built all over the world for work of all kinds.

My son-in-law was at Oshkosh with me this year working the booth and his repeated comment was that you can't bring other people with me in the RV-14A I am building now.

I think my next project would be to "re-build" a 6 place but it would be much better to build a RV16 as described above. Then of course you need to work through the licenced A/P issue??

Doug can you please make a poll for the 6 place and see if it viable?
Thanks, Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings and FF kit, Thunderbolt 390 (in line for delivery, someday), Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil (delivered). Sill need to put it together... 90% left to go
Grateful to pay dues 20'

Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM

I attended the "What's New at Van's" seminar at KOSH this year. The seminar was hosted by Mitch Locke, president and Greg Hughes, marketing/media. The crowd was polled as to what they thought Van's next model should be:
Retract - No. Too complex, costly, and little performance gain
6 place - No. Cherokee 6's are cheap these days.
Floats - No. An RV isn't the best platform.
Sailplane - No. The RV-11 is up in the rafters with a 1/2" of dust on it.

The RV-15 is in design now, but it's configuration was not revealed. It will not be leaked out like the -14 was either.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 PM

I’m really hoping for an RV14 type of update to the RV-9

And yes I’d totally forget about that 9 emp I’ve Been lugging around forever and order the new one !

Subscription Paid for 2019

Home is where the hanger is...

Last edited by bhassel : 07-31-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
I’m really hoping for an RV14 type of update to the RV-9
Agree with this, when you have a really good one, polish it.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 07-30-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I attended the "What's New at Van's" seminar at KOSH this year. The seminar was hosted by Mitch Locke, president and Greg Hughes, marketing/media. The crowd was polled as to what they thought Van's next model should be:
Retract - No. Too complex, costly, and little performance gain
6 place - No. Cherokee 6's are cheap these days.
Floats - No. An RV isn't the best platform.
Sailplane - No. The RV-11 is up in the rafters with a 1/2" of dust on it.

The RV-15 is in design now, but it's configuration was not revealed. It will not be leaked out like the -14 was either.
Thanks Steve, I really missed out not going to the meeting you are talking about. It is too bad that was the outcome of the meeting. My question would be where was the consensus? I bet there where a lot of opinions but I am sure something must have come to the surface? Please pass it it on if you know.
Thanks, Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings and FF kit, Thunderbolt 390 (in line for delivery, someday), Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil (delivered). Sill need to put it together... 90% left to go
Grateful to pay dues 20'

Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 PM

Default Next

If the next rv is already in design, it would seem to me that Van’s has a defined direction. A poll or consensus from a meeting would then serve to stir the pot and generate interest more than drive the design...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-30-2019, 10:41 PM

Default My notes from that meeting...

Van's asked "what would you write a check for right now if we offered it?"
They also said they look for underserved niches in the market that they are equipped to meet and reflects their design philosophy.

The first suggestion was a high-wing STOL. Not much reaction to that but it sure is NOT an underserved segment of the market, plenty of them out there.

Besides the other things mentioned (like 6-place - answer? "Buy a Caravan.")

I said "A 4-place Van's equivalent of the Grumman Tiger or Piper Archer." They shot that down, saying those were readily available on the market and cheap. And also that the RV10 is their best-selling kit ever and it is 4 place. I said "no, a 320 or 360, not a honking big 6 cylinder and that is a VERY complex kit." Still "no."

I also suggested "A version of the 7 that is as easy to build as the -12." They said "Get the 14." "But... expensive!" "Put a -360 in it."

They also did not think it funny when I asked "How long are you going to be the only major kit maker without a jet?"

Their big focus s getting into the training - flight school market. Build the pipeline into other models. Their desired path to that is reg changes to allow training in experimentals.

There have also been 80 RV12 kits sold for building by students (!)
Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 AM

To me it doesn’t make sense to say “buy a Caravan or a Cherokee 6” if you want 6 place. You could say the same thing on a 4 place. Just buy a Bonanza or a C182 or SR22.

Either a high wing or a 6 place seems like the logical next step.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:29 AM

"Their big focus s getting into the training - flight school market. Build the pipeline into other models. Their desired path to that is reg changes to allow training in experimentals."

This makes me believe that my dream Vans model might actually happen!

At least in Europe, the twin training market is basically Diamond with a few Pipistrels, definitely room for Vans in that segment. Not heard anything about the latest EASA vote and I know nothing about FAA plans but if/when PPL/CPL training is allowed in experimental, Vans would sell plenty of twins if they had something resembling an RV10 but with two Rotax or some diesel/JET-A1 engines on it.
RV-14 kit #140138
Flight testing
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 07-31-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Other Van's seminar notes

- Van's is bringing all machining work in-house leading to better control quality and scheduling. Toward that end they purchased a Haas VF-11 NC mill. Two smaller mills are due to arrive later this year. A new Trumpf metal punch machine was recently installed.
- They have added a new nose wheel axle to the A models. It prevents over tightening of the axle nut.
- A new nose gear/engine mount, based on the -14 design, is available for the other A models. It is a major project best done before the engine mount is drilled to the airframe.
- Van's is expanding the "fly away RV-12" program to 2 per month. They are just about there.
- As everyone knows by now, they have revised the company logo, created a new website, and are selling new branded merchandise.
- The presenters noted Van's is exploring all aviation markets and technologies. As mentioned by others, the pilot training field is wide open. The emerging electric airplane is well known.
Bottom line is Van's does what makes good long term business sense for Van's.

Last edited by Steve : 07-31-2019 at 08:10 AM.