Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-26-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Dynon Comm Help

Symptoms:
Flying close to another airplane the other day and they reported that sometimes my comm message was broken and other times they couldn't hear anything other than me keying up.

Next day a friend with a handheld radio on the ground reported that he could hear me clearly when I was in the pattern but if I get much more elevation or move even a 1/4 mile from the pattern the message would be broken or just the key up.

Another plane departing the pattern reported my comm message was broken.

I am able to hear everything clearly.

What I tried to resolve the issue:
Tried 2 different Lightspeed Headsets.
Tried both headsets in both comm jacks.
Tried different frequencies.

Equipment:
RAMI AV-17 Antenna mounted below baggage area. Coaxial cable is less than 1 foot in length and was made by ACS.
Dynon SV Comm.

Thank you for the help.
SunDog Powered Parachute
X-Air LSA Sold
Dues Paid 11/2019
Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 AM

Check voltage to radio. Had similar problem traced to high resistance in breaker switch.

Membership renewed Sept 8, 2019
Old 12-26-2019, 11:31 AM

I was wondering about these remote transmitter radios and how good they were. Is this a new install or has it been working good for a long time? Most of these like the Dynon have a transmit power of only 6 watts where as the Garmin 430 is at least 10 watts. If you haven't had the problem before it could just be a loose connector, bad ground or the antenna is not grounded to the aircraft. Good luck there is nothing more irritating than a bad working radio.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRV7 View Post
I was wondering about these remote transmitter radios and how good they were. Is this a new install or has it been working good for a long time? Most of these like the Dynon have a transmit power of only 6 watts where as the Garmin 430 is at least 10 watts. If you haven't had the problem before it could just be a loose connector, bad ground or the antenna is not grounded to the aircraft. Good luck there is nothing more irritating than a bad working radio.
Unit is new.
SunDog Powered Parachute
X-Air LSA Sold
Dues Paid 11/2019
Old 12-27-2019, 01:16 AM

Default Similar issue

I have a very similar issue. We have two radios in our RV-7a: a Dynon SV-COM-X25 and a Garmin GTR 200. On the Dynon, I regularly get complaints from Ground or Tower that the radio is unreadable - however it is not consistent - sometimes transmit is ok. My two partners in the plane have less frequent issues. Receive on the Dynon works great. No problems with the Garmin. Iíve tried different headsets and the same result: frequently unreadable transmit on the Dynon, no problems with the Garmin.

We have a HDX-1100, and a PDA360EX-R audio panel.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Scott
Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC650 View Post
I have a very similar issue. We have two radios in our RV-7a: a Dynon SV-COM-X25 and a Garmin GTR 200. On the Dynon, I regularly get complaints from Ground or Tower that the radio is unreadable - however it is not consistent - sometimes transmit is ok. My two partners in the plane have less frequent issues. Receive on the Dynon works great. No problems with the Garmin. Iíve tried different headsets and the same result: frequently unreadable transmit on the Dynon, no problems with the Garmin.

We have a HDX-1100, and a PDA360EX-R audio panel.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Scott
Where are your two antennae located?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Give us a call!

This is likely an issue with the transceiver itself. Give us a call on our support line and we can help get these radio issues resolved. We won't be back in the office until Monday December 30th.

Dynon Technical Support
Phone: +1 (425) 224-6736
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific, M - F
CFI-IA, AGI, IGI
RV9-A
Old 12-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Where are your two antennae located?
The antennae on the on the bottom of the fuselage. The Dynon antenna is roughly between the main gear legs, and the Garmin is about 4 feet behind that and offset to the right. I thought maybe the gear legs were causing the problem if they were between the antennae and the tower, but the problem doesnít seem to relate to the orientation of the aircraft and it occurs both on the ground and in the air when there is a clear line of sight to the tower.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jones View Post
This is likely an issue with the transceiver itself. Give us a call on our support line and we can help get these radio issues resolved. We won't be back in the office until Monday December 30th.

Dynon Technical Support
Phone: +1 (425) 224-6736
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific, M - F
Thanks Don. We are planning to try and get this resolved in January so either myself or one of my two partners will give you a call. We did a full panel replacement in 2018 with a HDX-1100, Dynon com, transponder and autopilot, and really love it. The only issue is the com transmission.

Scott
Old 01-03-2020, 04:05 PM

I had a similar issue with my Dynon Comm radio. The transmit was intermittently terrible, or mostly fine. Receive was always OK. After lots of troubleshooting, we determined that the transmitter was not always staying on frequency, but instead was hopping around. We used a radio frequency counter to finally find this out. I sent back the unit to Dynon and they replaced the unit. No issues after that!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs