What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU5000 governor

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Where did you all buy your PCU5000 from? I see Spruce has it for $1600, wondering if I can find it elsewhere for less. Also, if anyone has any tips on filling out the form I would greatly appreciate it. I have the standard M1B from Van's.

I just got one from Aircraft Propeller Service, was on sale for $1432 or so. Included shipping.

http://aircraftpropeller.com/

I think the sale is over, but you might call and see what they are currently asking for it. Ask for Jason Klein.

Suggest you get a quote directly from PCU. I got one (a quote) just a few months ago and it was less than anything listed in this thread.

Suggest you get a quote directly from PCU. I got one (a quote) just a few months ago and it was less than anything listed in this thread.

I got a quote on 12/13/2019 from Aircraft Propeller Service (APS) and I would say the price is somewhere in middle of the prices quoted/mentioned in this thread between Aircraft Spruce and Whirlwind(or Mike's APS price), and that was after a 10% "discount." If you got a price less than anything listed in this thread, you did well. As of today, there is no option for group discounts that were once offered. :(

I went to pcu5000.com and though I've lost the email now I could swear the price for my Rocket governor was $1295.

I went to pcu5000.com and though I've lost the email now I could swear the price for my Rocket governor was $1295.

Yes, PCU5000.com is APS. That?s a terrific price and is comparable to the group discount of 11 years ago! Take it to the bank! http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19021&highlight=PCU5000+group+discount
I was told that their list price is currently $1,660 and they will offer 10% off. No more group discounts. Mike S. got a pretty good price on their sale last summer.

I?m ready to order, but they are looking for control lever angle, rotation and pressure to increase/decrease. Any insight on how you calculate that info? I'm having a new engine built as I type and converting from FP to CS, so I'm not sure how answer those questions and they haven't been much help.

Brian

Aircraft Propeller Service (APS) has the sole license in the United States to sell the Jihostroj governor (as the PCU 5000) for certified planes. They took the Jihostroj governor through the certification process so they are the source if you want one for your certified plane. The PCU5000 is the certified version and the PCU5000X is the experimental version they sell, but there's no difference other than paperwork. They are the same governor. I got all of the above information from Jeremy Sutch at Whirlwind Aviation, a distributor for Jihostroj governors.

Aircraft Propeller Service (APS) has the sole license in the United States to sell the Jihostroj governor (as the PCU 5000) for certified planes. They took the Jihostroj governor through the certification process so they are the source if you want one for your certified plane. The PCU5000 is the certified version and the PCU5000X is the experimental version they sell, but there's no difference other than paperwork. They are the same governor. I got all of the above information from Jeremy Sutch at Whirlwind Aviation, a distributor for Jihostroj governors.

Looks like you can buy a PCU-5000x direct from Jihostroj shipped to the USA for $1,375. http://www.propellergovernor.com/how-to-buy/?product=1

Buying from APS for another $125 is probably worth if for service/support. You would think the price might be better with the strong U$D. I've also read elsewhere(non verified) that Jihostroj makes MT Governors.

I would be interested in hearing from folks that have flown behind different governors and if it makes any real difference. I'll be installing a composite 2 blade Hartzell that Vans sells - G2YR/N7605W-2X if it makes a difference.

Mark - BTW, if you don't have a copy-write on that paint scheme of yours, I might steal it. You have a stunning -8.

Last edited:
Looks like you can buy a PCU-5000x direct from Jihostroj shipped to the USA for $1,375. http://www.propellergovernor.com/how-to-buy/?product=1

Buying from APS for another $125 is probably worth if for service/support. You would think the price might be better with the strong U$D. I've also read elsewhere(non verified) that Jihostroj makes MT Governors.

I would be interested in hearing from folks that have flown behind different governors and if it makes any real difference. I'll be installing a composite 2 blade Hartzell that Vans sells - G2YR/N7605W-2X if it makes a difference.

Mark - BTW, if you don't have a copy-write on that paint scheme of yours, I might steal it. You have a stunning -8.

I've only flown with the Jihostroj governor, but I can say it does a very good job of maintaining set RPM. So far, very happy with it. As for the paint, I've seen different versions of the same scheme here and there, so I can't claim any copyright. The scheme was developed by Jonathan McCormick at Evoke Aviation. Very happy with his work.

I’m ready to order, but they are looking for control lever angle, rotation and pressure to increase/decrease. Any insight on how you calculate that info? I'm having a new engine built as I type and converting from FP to CS, so I'm not sure how answer those questions and they haven't been much help.

Brian

You can find the drive ratio and rotation direction in your Lycoming manual or TCDS for your engine model. The increase/decrease pressure depends on whether the prop has counterweights or not. If counterweighted (an aerobatic or feathering prop), loss of oil pressure causes the prop to go to course pitch. Most single engine props are the opposite - oil pressure to increase pitch. Arm clocking is easy - when viewing the governor from the arm end, 3:00 o'clock is "0 degrees", 6:00 is "90", 9:00 is180, etc. Easy to re index once on the ship anyway, so don't worry too much about getting it right.

You can find the drive ratio and rotation direction in your Lycoming manual or TCDS for your engine model. The increase/decrease pressure depends on whether the prop has counterweights or not. If counterweighted (an aerobatic or feathering prop), loss of oil pressure causes the prop to go to course pitch. Most single engine props are the opposite - oil pressure to increase pitch. Arm clocking is easy - when viewing the governor from the arm end, 3:00 o'clock is "0 degrees", 6:00 is "90", 9:00 is180, etc. Easy to re index once on the ship anyway, so don't worry too much about getting it right.

Thanks Michael, more than one person here has needed an explanation like that. I had a feeling on those three things but wasn't sure. Just out of curiosity though, is anyone willing to share what angle they had theirs shipped with? I have seen pics on how to re-index it but would rather not have to if it can be avoided by getting it correct. Thanks!

Last edited:

Thanks. I also really appreciate this info.

Regarding MT Governors and to correct what I typed in an earlier post, I found this note on the Jihostroj website:http://www.propellergovernor.com/model-designation/

For JIHOSTROJ unknown reason, MT PROPELLER has started to designate its propeller governors in a similar way as JSV did before already. They are using similar coding as P-850-X, P-860-X, P-870-X, P-880-X, P-9()()-(), etc.
Please note that MT governors have different design and are manufactured by MT! Please consult the governor nameplate for governor origin!

Go figure! Here are their partners - several in the US including Whirlwind.
http://www.propellergovernor.com/sales-and-service/

Regarding MT Governors and to correct what I typed in an earlier post

Also just found this on their website.

Is JIHOSTROJ governor MT governor?
No! And never had been!

Some time ago MT-Propeller distributed JIHOSTROJ governors of model lines P-ABC-XXX and P-ABC-X/Y. It was labeled by MT as MT product, but always this governor was designed and manufactured at JIHOSTROJ. At the present time MT is distributing governors of its own design and manufacture and JIHOSTROJ does not distribute governors via MT! See explanatory chart

I read the PCUs and the Johistroj were actually the same governors from the same factory. Is this not true?
You are somewhat correct. It starts out in life as Jihostroj parts. Our main business is the certified market where we have FAA PMA's for many popular aircraft's. It was only natural that we offered them to the experimental market. The main difference is that you have Customer support and a 4 year warranty all handled by our US facility. Shipping back to Czech Republic isn't cheap.

Please note guys that Delta Romeo just published a group buy for our governor. This deal is exclusive for the VAF Members. Please make sure to take advantage if you have the need.

You are somewhat correct. It starts out in life as Jihostroj parts. Our main business is the certified market where we have FAA PMA's for many popular aircraft's. It was only natural that we offered them to the experimental market. The main difference is that you have Customer support and a 4 year warranty all handled by our US facility. Shipping back to Czech Republic isn't cheap.

Please note guys that Delta Romeo just published a group buy for our governor. This deal is exclusive for the VAF Members. Please make sure to take advantage if you have the need.

I asked Brent Erwin in January if a group buy was an option here on VAF. I offered to to do the leg work and was told the group buy/discount wouldn't be offered again. Somewhat disappointing 2 months after I purchased one you are offering a group discount.

So they are just being resold to the certified market under your PMA?

I asked Brent Erwin in January if a group buy was an option here on VAF. I offered to to do the leg work and was told the group buy/discount wouldn't be offered again. Somewhat disappointing 2 months after I purchased one you are offering a group discount.

Hello Brian,
Sorry to hear that. I know at the end of last year we were extremely busy and a group buy wasn't on the radar. Now we have our feet under us, we're more engaged with PCU5000 requirements.

Back