VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2020, 02:08 PM

Smile Where to buy my IO-390?

Hi All, I'm about to place my order for an IO-390 Airflow Performance/E-mag engine, but before I do, I have a question. I originally thought the purchase was going to be from Barret Precision Engines because so many here talk very Highly of them but I am now leaning toward Lycoming Thunderbolt. What if any are the up/down side to either? The one interesting thing Lycoming said was that if I order my engine now I would get it around October cuz there selling so many. The wait kinda blows but the economy sure must be well! Any advice, thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-18-2020, 04:00 PM

Well, I donít remember what price Allan Barret quoted me but it was way higher than a T-bolt via Vans.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:54 PM

Thanks Rob
Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 PM

Each Vans kit is eligible to purchase one Lycoming engine through Vans with a substantial discount. Vans recently added Thunderbolt engines to their program. I don't believe any Lycoming seller (e.g. Barrett) can compete price wise.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >500 hrs
XP-400 Aero Sport Power, replaced with Lyc Thunderbolt 390
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 9/2019
Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rRob View Post
Well, I donít remember what price Allan Barret quoted me but it was way higher than a T-bolt via Vans.
Blame Lycoming.

After developing the concept using machined 360 cases, Barrett initially held a contractual exclusive on Lycoming IO-390 engine kits. Then there was a period with kits available to other selected engine shops. Then Lycoming cranked up the Thunderbolt franchise, and stopped selling kits to anyone.

Today the only remaining choice is to rework a new stock 390, which makes it difficult to be competitive on price alone.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 PM

Well that makes this an easy decision, Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-390 here I come! Dan H thanks for the info and Keith B I'm putting this on my RV 8 and Vans will only sell a IO-390 to RV 14 kit holders.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-18-2020, 11:15 PM

Even for my IO-360, some 10 or more years ago, they could not come even close to the price that was offered thru VANs for a new Lycoming engine. This of course was again the case for my IO-390 T-blot.
Dues paid
Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 AM

If you can wait till April, Van's runs Sun n Fun specials, usually around a $1000 discount, and another $1000 If you buy an engine prop combination together. These deals have been good for the month of April, and you do not need to be at the show to place your order. They usually also throw in free shipping.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 300+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiculousM View Post
Hi All, I'm about to place my order for an IO-390 Airflow Performance/E-mag engine SNIP....
Mike,

I note you are building an RV-8. If you plan on using the stock cowl and snorkel, the Airflow Performance throttle body will not fit (it hits the bottom of the cowl).

I ordered my 180hp IO-360 from Thunderbolt with the AirFlow Performance system as I have flown with it and like it and found this out the hard way. Thunderbolt was kind enough to take the AFP system back and send me the stock Precision system.

If you plan on modifying the stock cowl or use a James cowl to incorporate a separate engine air intake you should be able to use the AFP system.

Carl
Old 01-19-2020, 08:51 PM

I don't know what the price delta is, but I will say this: BPE's product support has been phenomenal. Allan Barrett (a great guy) and now his brother Monty (Jr.) always answer my questions quickly, and more importantly, thoroughly. I don't just get a quick reference or vague instruction, but a well thought out response that helps me understand the issue. And their solutions aren't just to get out the old parts cannon and start shooting new expensive stuff at it. They help me troubleshoot the real issue and repair instead of replace. In short, these guys understand that I'm a homebuilder operating on a budget.

I have no clue what my Dad paid for this engine, but I'm pretty sure he got his money's worth.

DEM