What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is Tail-Mate still in business? WTB one but can't find

Gash

Well Known Member
After doing a search on raising a taildragger tail, I read a few posts here about Tail-Mate lifters. Their website is gone and I can't find any info on their company or product. Do you know if they're still in business?

Does anybody have a Tail-Mate they'd like to sell?

They're gone as far as I know...a friend of mine was the original guy behind it. He sold it and it changed hands a couple of times after that. I had the domain name and tried contacting the person to get it renewed but couldn't get a hold of anyone.

Me too!

I spoke with him several months ago. He said it took too much labor and expense to continue. Sounded like he lost interest. I would also like to get one of these if anyone would like to sell.

agreed!

My go-to guy for welding and custom fab work is making one for himself. He said the same thing - it's too expensive to produce and sell, unless the price is $400+ or so. Not sure they would sell for that, tho in hindsight, it sure is a nifty thing to have in the shop. I currently have it holding the Champ tail up so I can walk under the wings without worrying about continually whacking my noggin on airplane parts. Very handy!

If you have seen the tow vehicle (golf car) hitches at Reno (used for the Sport class, and some others), you would want one of those too - for similar reasons: it's a GREAT thing to have around when needed. Kinda expensive tho...

Carry on!
Mark

I got the last one from the guy last christmas. He told me, it was not worth it. Too much time and the cost would be high.

I have one for sale.

I have one ,located in Greensboro, NC. I'll be out of town until 9/2. Have to break it down to ship and no idea of cost, how about 75% of retail + shipping and I'll give Mr Reeves 10%. Email: [email protected]

David

Interested

David,

Sent you a PM. GASH....since you are the OP, I will take second position to you (if nobody else beat me to it:)) for this purchase.

Thanks,

Sean,
Here is a picture I found on the Kitfox forum. I was interested in what this Tail Mate was. It does not look very difficult to build. How heavy is the tail of our RV's? I know a Kitfox wouldn't need a winch(love spell check) to lift the tail. Does an RV?

You have to scroll down a bit.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3922

Last edited:
Hey Rock,

Don't have info on RV tail weights. Should be easy to find on the forum. I saw one of these at Rocky Mountain Metro (where I believe I met you) and decided I'd like to own one. Thanks for the link.

Tail lift

Looks easy to build for $100-150 in material. I you can't weld it yourself or find a willing welder engineer a bolt together version. 1" square steel tubing, 1"x 3/16" steel strap to make tabs plus 1/4" bolts and off you go. This is a great excuse to acquire a small mig welder.

Don Broussard
RV 9 rebuild in progress.

Now we're talkin'. Assemble some pictures and skills and go do! I'm right behind you when my need arises. The build of a widget will be fun, I promise.

I'm going to build one out of wood! That thing looks like a lot of fun to build. Thanks for the idea--I'm always looking for excuses to build a new contraption. :D

Sean: thanks for your consideration. Please go ahead and buy it from David. Have a nice day.

Tail weight

Had W&B for the -4 out this evening punching data into a spreadsheet. Empty tail weight is 53#.

Sean,
Here is a picture I found on the Kitfox forum. I was interested in what this Tail Mate was. It does not look very difficult to build. How heavy is the tail of our RV's? I know a Kitfox wouldn't need a wench to lift the tail. Does an RV?

You have to scroll down a bit.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3922

Hey, that's me! I love my tail-mate. Just started using it on the RV-8 last week when drilling the rear spar. I also gave a friend that built one out of wood for his RV-7 and it forks just fine.

I did notice that Andy. The Kitfox is quite a plane. It does exactly what it was designed to do. I have only flown in one about 5-6 times, but I really enjoyed it. I can sure see one in my future.

Thanks for the weight answers guys. 60 lbs is a bit more than I expected.

Hey, that's me! I love my tail-mate. Just started using it on the RV-8 last week when drilling the rear spar. I also gave a friend that built one out of wood for his RV-7 and it forks just fine.

I can see it already. They're going to be giving away little "Widget" bobbleheads at air shows!

How heavy is the tail of our RV's?

Generally 50-100 pounds, but it will be heavier when on the ground than in level flight position (which is where one does the actual measurement) because of the geometry of the plane. Gets lighter as the tail rises.

Greg

Lol....had this visual of a young lady dressed like she is in an 1880's pub lifting the tail! Amazing the difference one letter makes winch vs wench:)

Curious, I read it as "wrench" the first time through and was wondering how a wrench would be used to lift the tail....

Speaking of geometry and the comment it "is heavier on the ground than lifted", I'd want some weight on the base of the " tail-mate" and I'd want the tailwheel strapped into the receiver shoe.

The last time I needed my plane leveled for some maintenance, I was surprised how light the tail became when I lifted it. I ended up so paranoid that I used multiple cinder blocks as anchors.

I like the wooden DIY design. I'll likely build it with some form of retaining strap for the tailwheel and a tray at the bottom for weight

Ok gang, this is a great opportunity to improve the reputation of "Vans builders". You know the stereotype...tab A, slot B guys with no real skills ;)

Jesting I am, but hey, no homebuilder ever regretted learning how to weld. You want one? Build it.

OK DanH. I'll rise to the challenge :)

I picked up a welder more than a year ago. I guess it's time I go get some steel and learn how to use the darn thing!

The first project is a tow bar (like yours), then a static balance stand for propellers, then this, then ... :eek:

OK DanH. I'll rise to the challenge :)

I picked up a welder more than a year ago. I guess it's time I go get some steel and learn how to use the darn thing!

The first project is a tow bar (like yours), then a static balance stand for propellers, then this, then ... :eek:

Yep, then before you know it you are building one of these.....

fuse-24.jpg

Some fellow hanger buddies and I are building our own tail-jack. The one we had at the airport left for another home. We took measurements and pics before it left. I have drafted up plans for a modified tail-jack (a bit taller to get level for RV-8's). I can send a *.PDF file to those interested in welding up their own. You figure the parts list and the rest. I don't do PM. Send me an email to "rv18r (at) Comcast.net" if interested and I will send. Figure it is OK to copy the product since it is no longer made.

Revised Tail jack plans

I have revised the plans I prepared for the tail jack based on cutting out the pieces and figuring necessary angles. I have send the revised PDF file of the plans to builders that sent a request by email (I think). Let me know if I missed anyone.

Bruce W.
rv18r (at) Comcast.net

Back