What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main gear removal for move

jmcnally

Hi all,

I'm starting to get my shop together to work on a 6 project I purchased that's around half done. Has anyone had to remove the gear legs on a TD in order to fit it through a doorway once most of the engine work has been done? My doorway is a max of 48" so I'll have to take the legs off to get it out when it's time to move to the airport down the road. This is the ideal place to do the project so it really doesn't work to find another location with a wider doorway.

I've searched the forum and wasn't able to locate an answer to this question. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for all your help!

I am building a 6A and have a 5' wide door to go through. I plan to hoist the plane once completed and put it back on the wood cradle to get it out of the door. It will take me a couple of days to perform this task but having the plane in my back yard for the past 4 years has been the best decision I have made. You can look at my Kitlog page below and there are several pictures showing the plane move from one position to the other, wings on and off, etc.

Is 48" going to be wide enough? The bottom skin extends beyond the fuselage to interface with the bottom of the wing. I don't recall the exact dimensions, but it is probably 1.5 - 2", so the door needs to be a good 4" wider than the fuselage at the rail in order to fit.

I think the fuselage is 43-44 n wide. Add in 1.5-2" on either side for the skin and you are talking 46-48" going to be tight.

That said, there is nothing wrong wit removing the gear. My fuselage rides on a cart that supports it at the firewall and under the main spar. Keep in mind, the fuselage is flat at the firewall and has a slight V at the spar.

Last edited:
Back