What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kirker Paint Durability?

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready for paint and need to make a decision between spending the $$ on PPG or going with Kirker. Does anyone that used Kirker paint more than 5 years ago have any comments regarding its durability?
Thanks.

I have a couple of friends with trucks and motorhomes painted with Kirker and they're outside all of the time, holding up perfect.

Problems painting Kirker

I painted my plane with Kirker base coat clear coat system. I had nothing but trouble. I admit it may have been the painter or my equipment and not the paint but this was what happened to me. Base coat went on great. The clear went on well but orange peeled terribly when dry. Ended up spending huge amount of time sanding and reshooting several times. Final problem is that clear coat over the white has yellowed terribly. After 4 yrs of flying I will be working on painting in the near future.

Im seriously considering single stage kirker finish on my -7. The only thing holding me back is the lack of a non metallic silverish color.

I'm thinking of doing the single stage as well and just cut and buff leaving the clear off. The only color I sprayed so far is the spinner (metallic blue) and the guys at the paint store said it looked okay to them. Still debating which direction to go.

Well, I don't have any long term results to say. I am painting my entire airplane with kirker base/clear system. I have the fuse and one wing left to do. It is multicolor and so far I am very pleased with the outcome. I am color sanding and buffing the clear. So far it has been easy to spray and buffs out looking better than the factory paint on my toyota tundra. I will note that I have stayed with their directions and used only their products with the right temperature activators. it cures hard like any other clearcoat system. I can not say about the durability yet, but it seems like a good product for me.

bird

Back