What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VERTICAL STAB DRILLING ?

RV8MW

Well Known Member
I HAVE DRILLED HOLES IN VERTICALS REAR SPAR CENTERED RT AND LT.TRYING TO GET CORRECT PLACEMENT FORWARD AND AFT PLANS SAY TO USE A TIGHT WIRE IN RUDDER HINGES TO CHECK FOR ALIGNMENT TO KEEP RUDDER FROM BINDING. WHEN I CENTER THE WIRE IN THE CENTER HINGE MY VERTICAL IS OUT OF PLUMB AT TOP BY 3/8 88.7 ON A DIGITAL LEVEL. I KNOW REAR BULKHEAD MUST BE OUT OF PLUMB. SHOULD I LEVEL VERTICAL AT 90 OR CENTER HINGES? I AN AFRAID IF I CENTER HINGES IT WILL MAKE LOWER FRONT OF VERTICAL TO LOW TO SLIDE REAR DECK SKIN UNDER. YOU CAN ONLY TRIM SO MUCH MATERIAL ON VERTICAL BOTTOM BEFORE YOU GET INTO THE RIVET LINE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. RV8 VERTICAL

If your hinges aren't aligned, you WILL have rudder binding. If you can't lower the leading edge of the vertical stab, you'll have to shim or reposition the aft bulkhead. 3/8" at the tip probably translates to a washer width at the upper mounting angle. If you're ambitious, or the error is gross, the aft bulkhead can be replaced (ask me how I know).

-Paige

I know it's an old post...

I just fitted and drilled the fwd spar on the vertical stab and came up short on edge distance on the bottom row of rivet holes. :mad:

The first thing the plans and manual said was cut 9/16" off the bottom of the spar. I would not do that if I were you!

I nudged the front of the stab up incrementally until I got perfect alignment of the hinges using the string method and verified by hanging the rudder on the stab. I knew it was going to be close but I ended up 1/16" short of minimum edges distance on the bottom row of rivets. I'm planning on fixing this with a doubler behind the skin of the front spar and adding a row of rivets.

So, don't cut your spar too short!

Back