What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost rv14 seat mod on a tip up.

titanhank

Well Known Member
I installed the almost rv14 seat mod in my rv6 tip up, but instead of using a second lock bar, I used a teleflex cable. It locks up tight and works perfect. Flight tested to Vne with no canopy movement at all. The biggest hurdle was the initial taking a sawsall to your airplane. The room gained was unbelievable. If you have been considering the seat mod, i would highly recommend it.

Hank

CADE30_AD-89_AB-45_D4-_AD31-_D99_A8_CD64_A8_B.jpg

3_DACCA01-_EC88-4365-_BD4_A-0327313_C1287.jpg

98316148-67_BA-4_D30-9837-37_DA535_BC6_D7.jpg

135_EA6_C7-3387-4667-8853-_B69_ED39_ED3_B3.jpg

99158_BD6-_B100-4_C07-_B483-0_D645437_F48_F.jpg

0_F6_D4928-_CBE3-4786-_BB40-19212_C93_C309.png

3_DECD51_B-87_C5-423_C-_BA5_D-718847_FFE974.jpg

95370_F2_C-5103-4_C36-8005-8_FEFAECE3_DA3.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the almost rv14 seat mod in my rv6 tip up, but instead of using a second lock bar, I used a teleflex cable. It locks up tight and works perfect. Flight tested to Vne with no canopy movement at all. The biggest hurdle was the initial taking a sawsall to your airplane. The room gained was unbelievable. If you have been considering the seat mod, i would highly recommend it.

Hank

CADE30_AD-89_AB-45_D4-_AD31-_D99_A8_CD64_A8_B.jpg

3_DACCA01-_EC88-4365-_BD4_A-0327313_C1287.jpg

98316148-67_BA-4_D30-9837-37_DA535_BC6_D7.jpg

135_EA6_C7-3387-4667-8853-_B69_ED39_ED3_B3.jpg

99158_BD6-_B100-4_C07-_B483-0_D645437_F48_F.jpg

0_F6_D4928-_CBE3-4786-_BB40-19212_C93_C309.png

3_DECD51_B-87_C5-423_C-_BA5_D-718847_FFE974.jpg

95370_F2_C-5103-4_C36-8005-8_FEFAECE3_DA3.jpg

A good idea with the cable. Avoiding the tube through the flap motor housing is a big plus as it enables the use of the alternative flap motor (the one with built on position indicator).

A good idea with the cable. Avoiding the tube through the flap motor housing is a big plus as it enables the use of the alternative flap motor (the one with built on position indicator).

I keep the plane in manvel, tx near sugarland. Come down and check it out someday.

Hank

I will, maybe very soon.

I have yet to install my rear window, so I have good access from both sides of the bulkhead and your mod looks very neat.

How much closer is your head to the roll bar on the canopy with that mod? From where the seat back is in your photo, I suspect I would bump it while wearing my helmet...

You might bump your head with a helmet. I wear a bose a20 and don’t bump at all. I am also 6’1” tall and had to move the seat back forward two inches to be able to see while taxing. I am working on a prototype electric seat adjuster to be able to sit upright while taxing, takeoff and landing and lean way back for cruise. It is super comfortable all the way back, just can’t see to taxi with the canopy latched open. I suspect this would not be an issue with a tri gear airplane sitting nearly level. The tailwheel -6, with the very low canopy and high angle of attack, makes it much more difficult to see out of unless you are sitting directly upright. The position is not comfortable at all after 20 minutes or ao.

Really nice solution

I was just writing to Anti Splat Aero that it's a nice upgrade, but not doable on my 6A Tip-Up because of the canopy locking rod that goes through the aircraft an that my backrest just would lean on this when I move the bar. Your solution is great - and I just might do it. I am 6,1 too and would really like those extra inches distance to the panel... :)
Thanks for sharing - hope I can contact you if I have additional questions ?

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark

I was just writing to Anti Splat Aero that it's a nice upgrade, but not doable on my 6A Tip-Up because of the canopy locking rod that goes through the aircraft an that my backrest just would lean on this when I move the bar. Your solution is great - and I just might do it. I am 6,1 too and would really like those extra inches distance to the panel... :)

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark

Did you see the instruction download on the antisplat site for doing this on a tip up? The bar you are talking about gets moved so it doesn't interfere with the seat. Is the 6 mechanism different than my 9 because after moving the bar and following those instructions my seats don't contact the bar?

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark

The second lock bar system on antisplats website works, but i did not want to crawl under it for maintenance. The cable works great. I sent the pictures and info to antisplat. Hopefully they will include the cable option on their website. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

i-8H7TdnN

Started the almost a RV-14 mod on my -6 today using the parts from titanhanks list

Last edited:
Hank, what a great idea, thanks for posting it! I copied yours almost exactly and it worked perfectly. (You also have a Helicycle right? I'm building mine). To anyone undecided, the seat mod is INCREDIBLE, do it. At 5' 11', 170 I'm by no means large but felt crowded with the oem seating and I didn't like the straight-up positioning either. The seat mod literally makes it a different plane and Hanks idea is a fantastic improvement on a fantastic idea. Mines a tip-up and took a lot of time getting it fitted but it's great. I'm in love with the new setup and the additional room is awesome.

I built two helicycle’s, but do not currently have one. I love the way they fly, but they are very limited in fuel range. I also had an r22 beta II at the time. The most fun i had in helos was giving rides. I am leaning heavily towards building a zenith ch750 super duty next. I need something to operate out of our grass field, carry 3 people and be very easy to fly for my daughter in the future. I wish vans would build a bush planes of some sorts.

I appreciate the compliments on the seat mod. You should check out my electic seat back adjuster system if your plane is a tailwheel.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=168226&highlight=Electric+seat+back

Last edited:
I built two helicycle?s, but do not currently have one. I love the way they fly, but they are very limited in fuel range. I also had an r22 beta II at the time. The most fun i had in helos was giving rides. I am leaning heavily towards building a zenith ch750 super duty next. I need something to operate out of our grass field, carry 3 people and be very easy to fly for my daughter in the future. I wish vans would build a bush planes of some sorts.

I appreciate the compliments on the seat mod. You should check out my electic seat back adjuster system if your plane is a tailwheel.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=168226&highlight=Electric+seat+back

Lol, I've yet to finish #1 but that turbine will be cool. I've got a 22 as well. It'd be a lot more useful were it a 44!

The electric seats are nice! I want them just for the cool factor

Seat Mod

Hello all,
Im 6'2" and I have a RV6 slider. I am considering ordering the mod, just wanted to get more opinions of who likes and if there is any thing they don't like.
Thanks

Hello all,
Im 6'2" and I have a RV6 slider. I am considering ordering the mod, just wanted to get more opinions of who likes and if there is any thing they don't like.
Thanks

It's a different airplane with the mod. Huge improvement and much more comfortable. At 5'11, 170 I'm bu no means large but it's still a dramatic change. I can't imagine anyone regretting it and I'd never go back. Hope that helps.

Took me two solid days to put the cross bar in, build all the cable locking system and get it adjusted.

Hank

Hey Hank, did you find that your shoulders hit the rollover hoop now that the seat backs go back farther than the hoop. (at least that is what it looks like in the pictures)? I have pretty wide shoulders and was wondering about that. Thanks
TW

No problems at all. I flew it 13.4 hours round trip to oshkosh and it was very comfortable. I never noticed the rollover bar at all. I am 6’1” and 250lbs.

titanhank,

After a building hiatus, I?m looking into the cable solution again.
What material and thickness did you use for the stand offs that secured the bulkhead fittings on the cable ?

I'd love to see any additional pictures people have of this teleflex solution on an RV7 or 9 tipup. Are the parts or approach any different than on the 6? This looks like a great solution and has me about to pull the trigger on the almost 14 mod. My wife and I are not big people (I'm 5'10/170), but the shoulder offset and the ability for her to recline and snooze a little easier is what has me interested. I just thought I'd resurrect the thread and see if there is more info out there now for other models. I'm super visual, so pictures are worth their weight in gold for me.

Anything people would do different if doing it over again?

Back