What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron: How to rivet?

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
How do I rivet the rib to the spar? I can't squeeze the rivets and I don't have anything small enough to get into the slot with the riveting gun nor a bucking bar. I guess that I could remove the plate on the end and put it on again after riveting to the spar.

I must be missing something simple that I can't figure out right now.

thanks
ken

I have a long offset rivet set. It will not fit between the plates.

I have two potential solutions.

1. use the back riveting plate at a bucking bar. I would shim it so it would not slide of the shop head.

2. take off 7B2 (A1007-1B), then rivet to spar and then put back on the 7B2. I could then squeeze the 4-4 rivet for the rib/spar connection.

I am thinking option 2 is the easiest solution.

ken

THe back rivet plate worked great as a thin bucking bar. I drilled out all the rivets and put them back in and now they look much much better.

use a long driver in your rivet gun

I thought I remember the ribs are riveted to the spar prior to attaching the leading edge skin.
The answer to your question is the long (12") rivet driver.

I was at this stage on my ailerons; where the outboard rib gets riveted to the spar. As noted in the thread there is not a lot of room here.
I modified my angle rivet set by grinding a bit off the side. This allowed the head of the rivet set to sit squarely on the the rivet. The rivets were easy to drive this way with nice visible factory heads. A long rivet set would have likely worked ok but I do not have one and after all these years of not needed one I was reluctant to purchase one for this minor job.
Note that when using an offset rivet set I always use electrician's tape to hold the set in place. This keeps the set from turning in the gun as you drive the rivet.

174rnl.jpg

Back