What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workin' in the Bahamas

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Yeah, I couldn't believe it either but there I was at Bootle Bay, near the west end of Grand Bahama island, with a hammer in one hand and a piece of siding in the other. Sweaty, dirty, and hot. The only salvation being a delicious ocean breeze which never stopped, thankfully.

My brother-in-law bought some beachfront property with access to the boat canal and is building a dock/guest house for future fishing trips and a getaway location for family and friends.

I put in my 16 hrs of work for Tommy and earned my right to visit anytime! :D Four hours in the RV from my home base make this a fantastic flying destination.

15duf7o.jpg

1zbsyvc.jpg

30wxg7r.jpg

24q46lh.jpg

33cc2ti.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very handy with a hammer. Let me know when I can help.
I built my wife a 4 stall barn and a 24' wrap-around enclosed deck for our house.

I'm < 2 RV hours away.

I am more then 7 RV-hours away and ready to put my 16 to earn my right :D

Can mix cement and do clean up...

Cool!

Bruce; You are the man! Might need some advice on my wing when I get back from deployment!

Looks like a great adventure!

Rich

We need more information

Bruce,

I?ve been there once (flew commercial) and I have always wanted to go back. Either by sail or wings. How was the flight? How about customs?

Give us some more detail. Please.

Thanks,

Bruce,

I?ve been there once (flew commercial) and I have always wanted to go back. Either by sail or wings. How was the flight? How about customs?

Give us some more detail. Please.

Thanks,

Everyone says flying to and from the Bahamas is easy, and it is. The frustrating part is making sure the local officials, in the US and the islands, are satisfied. Basically, here are the hurdles:

1. get a customs decal - $27.50
2. get an eApis account online
3 attach 12" reg. numbers to your plane if you don't have 'em
3a. you must have life vests for each person on board per USCG
4. file an international vfr flight plan and go flying to the islands, mon.
5. visit customs at a Bahamian point of entry -$15
6. pay arrival fee, airport fee, overnight fee
7. enjoy your stay

Return
8. file your eApis return to US info
9. call customs at your point of entry at least 1 hr prior to arrival
10 file international flight plan
11 land at your intended destination and clear customs.
Done

I may have left something out but that's basically all there is. Don't be intimidated. It is really not too bad. Same procedure for Canada btw.

Don't forget the ADIZ

Call Miami Radio with the time you'll be crossing the ADIZ else fly formation with the nice Airmen in the F-16's.

Nice write up.

Like Dan, I'm only about 2hrs ZPH to Marsh Harbor. Love the islands.

Very cool, Bruce. I am curious if you were able to land at the West End airport, or is it still closed? We just got back from another (our third since moving to FL) trip to the Bahamas on Monday. We went back to the Exumas and really had a great trip.
The Bahamas government has made general aviation flying in their country incredibly easy. They have upped the departure tax when you leave to $25 bucks a head, and that has irritated some folks. I think that Nassau and Freeport may be the only places where you have to pay the $15 inbound fee you mentioned. The out islands are a completely different world than Nassau and Freeport!

Call Miami Radio with the time you'll be crossing the ADIZ else fly formation with the nice Airmen in the F-16's.

Nice write up.

Like Dan, I'm only about 2hrs ZPH to Marsh Harbor. Love the islands.

You're correct, I meant to put that in my post. Upon departure, we had to stay low due to clouds for the first 15 miles or so. I was trying to raise Miami but I guess we were too low. I couldn't get them until we were 20 miles from Freeport and about 3500ft.

Very cool, Bruce. I am curious if you were able to land at the West End airport, or is it still closed? We just got back from another (our third since moving to FL) trip to the Bahamas on Monday. We went back to the Exumas and really had a great trip.
The Bahamas government has made general aviation flying in their country incredibly easy. They have upped the departure tax when you leave to $25 bucks a head, and that has irritated some folks. I think that Nassau and Freeport may be the only places where you have to pay the $15 inbound fee you mentioned. The out islands are a completely different world than Nassau and Freeport!

Believe it or not, I arrived on election day and the customs officer was out voting! The girl, whom I assume was a clerk, had me fill in the docs and sent me on my way, no stamp in my PP or $15 fee. Upon departure I had to pay $16 overnight fee (8 each night) and the $25 departure ransom...I mean fee.

The west end airport is still closed but I did hear talk of plans to get it open again. Boy, that would be convenient. I would love to spend time flying around the other islands. This was my second trip to the islands but the first time was 2007. I need to go over more often in order to really enjoy what the islands have to offer.

At Fort Pierce there is a petition for the CBP to change their hours. Presumably to open before 10am. That would make it easier to get in early and not have to deal with the volatile Florida weather which builds steadily throughout the morning and afternoon.

At Fort Pierce there is a petition for the CBP to change their hours. Presumably to open before 10am. That would make it easier to get in early and not have to deal with the volatile Florida weather which builds steadily throughout the morning and afternoon.

That would be very nice. We had to deal with a big area of weather around Melbourne when we came back on Monday afternoon.

Back