What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Draft Buster

Planenut

RV8 Wind draft Buster stops draft & reduces cabin volume for better heating
Lexan sheet 0.065 cut to close off canopy behind rear seat
MD weather seal part number 01025 black Marine and Automotive all-weather EPDM rubber
It’s a double D self-adhesive seal and I wrapped and glued one D on each side of the 0.065 Lexan
But with the two Ds approx. 0.25 inch above for compression sealing. Then the lexan is velcroed for quick removal and installation.

DB2_zps3a1920f1.jpg

DB1_zpsdf04df87.jpg

Last edited:
upload the pic?

can't get to the link and interested in seeing what the words describe as we have a draft problem with our -4.

That's the first new original idea I've seen for this in quite awhile - might have to look into trying it!

Lexan Cabin Bulkhead

This may be the best idea I have seen so far, to help with the RV-8 drafty cabin deal. Is the canopy the primary or only problem with the cold cabin situation ? I have not heard anyone fooling around with the oil cooler as a heat source ! It is simply a radiator. Blow or suck air through it and you have a steady source of heat. Their must be a reason why no one uses it ? My RV-8 is a half page from final assembly. Thought I would look into the heating story a little early. I know if the WIFE gets cold in the back seat no one will be happy for very long. Any suggestions ?

That's the first new original idea I've seen for this in quite awhile - might have to look into trying it!

In Texas? :confused:

Didn't I read Mr. Horton went with no heat down there in Alabama?

:D

I finally figured out why I put rear view mirrors in my 8! So I can see the draft holes in the rear canopy skirt :eek: But I'll blame it on the cold shrinking tHe fiberglass....

Great idea! Danny King devised a similar solution to the problem, except that he put a barrier connected to the canopy frame tubing, sealing off the area. It's a permanent fixture. I like that yours is removable.

Vetterman mufflers = lots of cabin heat

If you have a heating problem, get the Vetterman mufflers on your exhaust and you will have lots of heat in the cabin, when you want it. So far, it only happened ones that I ever turned the heat on fully........... and that was at 26.640 ft (-30?C), but still nice and cosy in the cabin!

As an extra, the plane will be a lot quieter, for you inside, but also for the neighbours of the airfield(s).

Regards, Tonny.

Cure for RV-4 rear draft problems

An approach I used on my standard canopy -4, was to convert it to a fastback. This may sound radical to some, but the conversion from a standard canopy to an attractive Harmon Rocket-like canopy is really not that big of a deal. A bonus to the conversion is that you don't get any air intrusion from the rear. The conversion took 90 days of down time.

Costs involved are: - less than $300 parts from John Harmon,
a new RV-4 canopy frame from Van's. New 7/16" aluminum tubing from online vendor (to modify a standard canopy). New Harmon Rocket canopy bubble from Todd's Canopies, Florida. The new aluminum side skins are easily made from raw .025 aluminum. (You could convert your existing canopy frame, but using a new one was cleaner)

A second bonus to the conversion is some additional knots at no cost.

Final Result:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115533897015330924047/20100415RV4FastbackModification02

If you have a heating problem, get the Vetterman mufflers on your exhaust and you will have lots of heat in the cabin, when you want it. So far, it only happened ones that I ever turned the heat on fully........... and that was at 26.640 ft (-30?C), but still nice and cosy in the cabin!

As an extra, the plane will be a lot quieter, for you inside, but also for the neighbours of the airfield(s).

Regards, Tonny.

Tony:

I think the heat is an extra benefit. It's the draft coming up through the back of the canopy that's the real issue. This fix looks very promising. Please keep us updated on whether or not it really works.

Chris

No Thanks

Tried to send a reply earlier from my phone but had a little trouble getting it right so here I am again....you lucky guy :).

Well, seems like most folks like your idea so hopefully no one will feel too bad just because 'Mr. Rick the Bozo' (me) didn't care for it. Although it may help to keep the draft down....IMO it's looks 'less than desirable' for me. Let's face it, this is just another bandaid to keep the draft down. The difference here is it just tries to stop the air downstream of where it's coming in, so to speak.

As you know, a few strips of weather stripping from Home Depot will do wonders and it's nice and soft. Also, a hoodie does a remarkable job :rolleyes:. Of course these are just bandaids as well aren't they? But, IMO these are bandaids that are a LOT less noticable than the big glass window that would make me think I'm at the bank talking to the teller at the drive up window.....ha ha.

Of course a good fitting canopy helps a little bit. But, we all know even the best of them will lift a bit once you get some air flowing over the plexi.

Every part I put on an airplane has to meet 3 criteria:

1-It must be SAFE.
2-It must be Functional.
3-It must LOOK GOOD.

This 'fix' meets only one of the criteria for me, and it's not number 3....big smile.

Maybe this will help There's a real nice fella' that won the Grand Champion at Osh with his RV8 in 2011. He installed a little 'inflatable air seal' around the canopy on his ship. He used a bicycle tube with a little pump and a little valve to deflate the seal. It was totally out of site and he could just give it a couple of pumps to seal off unwanted air after lift off when the canopy rose up due to the lift of the airstream.

This was the nicest and cleanest idea I'd seen. As a matter of fact he also received another award for his inovation in regard to the canopy seal. If I had another RV8 today, I'd give this a try.

Let me say that I do understand what you are trying to accomplish here. I once sewed up a real nice deflector that was velcroed in the back of one of my RV6's for the same reason. I also had an RV7 that I used to stuff a sock around the center canopy slider rail to stop the draft.

Anyway....good job trying to keep your back seater warm :D. There seems to be a lot of folks that think differently than me on this so maybe everyone will have one of these at Osh this year?

Canopy Seal

I am the guy Rick is chatting about with the canopy seal/bike pump idea on the 8. I did a writeup in 2011 ( http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=75144&highlight=pump+canopy+seal ) on how I did this. I didn't want to bring it up on this thread because Planenut has another way of accomplishing the same thing, but since Rick mentioned it, mine is another option that I think works well too. It is basically unnoticeable. Mine is not 100% blockage around the rail, but it's close and I think worthy of doing.

Well Al, you know I always call 'em like I see 'em :).

Patrick has done an execellent job of executing his idea and his craftsmanship appears to be very good....and quite frankly it's really an idea that no one else has come up so far. Patrick and I exchanged emails and my bottom line is all that REALLY matters is that you are happy with the end result. In this case his wife is a lot warmer so that sums it up. I'll tell you that if my wife was cold I'd have two of these in the plane :D.
Man!
There is always one EXPERT Critic!:)
Whats up Rocket Man?
Nordo

Hey Dave,

I didn't want to mention you by name but since you jumped in everybody knows now :rolleyes:.

Another congrats on the GOLD Lindy buddy! I worked on my Rocket real hard to win the gold so I know what you put into that airplane. Your canopy seal was a great idea and very well done....it was so well hidden we never would have noticed if you didn't point it out. Yup, Patricks approach probably works just as well as yours, if you have some plexi laying around build one of those and if you have an old inner tube build one like you did :).

Hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labor!

I am the guy Rick is chatting about with the canopy seal/bike pump idea on the 8. I did a writeup in 2011 ( http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=75144&highlight=pump+canopy+seal ) on how I did this. I didn't want to bring it up on this thread because Planenut has another way of accomplishing the same thing, but since Rick mentioned it, mine is another option that I think works well too. It is basically unnoticeable. Mine is not 100% blockage around the rail, but it's close and I think worthy of doing.

Back