What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar Bolt Direction

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
For some reason I cannot find this anywhere. Can anyone tell me which direction the wing spar bolts are supposed to face on the -8? Head fwd or aft? Also, should I put a washer under the bolt heads as well as the nuts? Can I torque from the bolt head?

Heads go aft.

You don't need washers under the heads. You might need several under each nut though, to prevent them from bottoming out on the shank of the bolt.

You should always torque the nut, if possible. It is possible, although difficult here.

By the way, a painless way to install the bolts is to use a rivet gun with a brass set to drive them in.

Heads go aft.

You don't need washers under the heads. You might need several under each nut though, to prevent them from bottoming out on the shank of the bolt.

You should always torque the nut, if possible. It is possible, although difficult here.

By the way, a painless way to install the bolts is to use a rivet gun with a brass set to drive them in.

This is exactly how I did mine. Easy. Getting them out won't be as fun - hopefully I'll never have to do that.

I don't know if the -8 is the same as the -9, but i installed my bolts with consideration of my ability to torque the nuts (and possibly remove the bolts someday). Threads aft is only a general recommendation. You can put them forward if you need. I know I have 2 or 3 facing forward.

Heads go aft.

Thanks for the info! I would love to know before I install if the bolts will need more than one washer under the nut because in that case I would put a washer under the bolt head. If I am forced to torque from the head on any of the bolts, then I wont score up the center section when turning the head of the bolt.

I also read on here that the torque values for these bolts are higher than for regular AN bolts of this size? Why is that the case? I thought torque was based on the nuts, and the nuts called out aren't anything special.

This is exactly how I did mine. Easy. Getting them out won't be as fun - hopefully I'll never have to do that.

Well I already get to drive one out because my buffer between my rivet set and the bolt head slipped off and I dented one of the small bolts heads. Don't have a brass set

Well I already get to drive one out because my buffer between my rivet set and the bolt head slipped off and I dented one of the small bolts heads. Don't have a brass set

Why are the smaller bolts so much harder to drive in? Especially the outboard bottom bolt

FYI I put a washer under each bolt head just in case I couldnt torque from the nut. all of the bolts will still need at least one washer under the nut, maybe two.

Back