What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing cargo area w/ bed liner?

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone considered finishing the caro area behind the seats with the stuff that is used for pick up truck bed liner. My understanding is that this stuff will not sustain flame, is obviously really tough, and would, in my opinion dress up the cargo area with something that will look good for a long time, even with a lot of use.

Thoughts or comments?

Weight is the issue with that stuff.

An Epoxy primer may be good.

Most I have seen have nothing but a piece of Av carpet.

I have a tintable spray on bedliner kit that I intend to use for this purpose. It doesn't have to go on anywhere close to being as thick for use on a truck, so weight won't be an issue.

It would be a tricky undertaking given the requisite removable parts in the baggage area.

I was involved in the testing of this for use in a certified airplane and it won't pass flammability,,,it burns easily....puts out some nasty smoke too.

I was involved in the testing of this for use in a certified airplane and it won't pass flammability,,,it burns easily....puts out some nasty smoke too.

The problem is the spray on bedliner material is polyurethane. When heated, polyurethane gives off a highly combustible gas. This gas will cause an instant flashover, putting you in danger. The thick, black smoke obscures vision and causes asphyxiation. Not a big deal in the back of a pickup, a major problem in an airplane.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

How does a baggage compartment floor catch on fire?

It isn't fire that is the start of the problem it is heat creating a very flammable gas. I realize that it is a long shot, but why take the chance?

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

It isn't fire that is the start of the problem it is heat creating a very flammable gas. I realize that it is a long shot, but why take the chance?

I guess we should avoid painting the interior, since polyurethane paint would be no less flammable!

Baggage area

A light coat of " Rocker Panel Chipguard " will give it some texture and then top coat it with the same paint as your interior.

The standard truck bed liners that are sprayed on, are sprayed on with considerable heat. And that's after the installers scuff the heck out of the metal.

The process isn't something I'd subject my plane to.

Dave

Have you considered the ray Allen wing walk material? It has a nice scuff distance and you can just cut and stick. Non abrasive too.

I was going to do this and even I bought a roll. But ended up using carpet instead.

Cargo area

It is just hard to beat using a non flamible carpet secured to the luggage deck. It provides some sound, cushion and abrasion protection. It is also easially secured or removed. Hard to beat it.

A nice coat of gray Dupont single stage worked as my entire interior

Lightweight, quicker to install, less to burn, easy to clean or repair and cheaper.

Not sure that is the correct page. It is from Eastwood auto supply it is rubberized Undercoating. Only 10 Bucks a can I think.
Al

Back