What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble Riveting L.G. Box Weldment (RV-8)

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
Gang,

I'm slow building an RV-8 and I'm having trouble figuring out how to buck the two AN426AD4-7 rivets that join the F-820 Fwd Side Skin, through and into the WD-822 Landing Gear Box Weldment. I've removed the outer most bolts between the LG Box and the F-802G/H Fwd/Aft Corner Angles per the plans, but I still don't have enough room to buck the rivets. The problem seems to be the shape of the L.G. Box Weldment -- the turned up flanges inside the LG Box are preventing me from getting the bucking bar in position (the areas I've marked in blue below).

Presentation1.png

Any tips on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

I used a relatively small thin (3/8" thick) tungsten bucking bar to set these rivets, Cleaveland part# BBT77. It was still an awkward reach but it worked.

Second the tungsten bar....

I waited until very late to finish bucking these rivets. I finally ordered the bar then quickly realized I should have done that with my first tool order...... Would have made life a lot easier.....

I used flat cherry max pulled rivets on both of my 8s, and worked great! Can't even tell, and they held great.
Nordo

I used a relatively small thin (3/8" thick) tungsten bucking bar to set these rivets, Cleaveland part# BBT77. It was still an awkward reach but it worked.

I bought a couple of these when I was working on my flaps and, like many tool purchases, I soon found myself wondering why I'd waited so long.

Back