What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firmware update for GDL-39-3D

Plummit

Well Known Member
I have a 796 and a GDL-39-3D. I was going to update the firmware for the GDL-39 but I can't figure out how to do it. I bought it new but can't find a data cable to plug in to the GDL. I have the power/data cable for the 796, but nothing fits the GDL. It works great as a blue tooth ADSB receiver, but it doesn't look like you can update via blue tooth. Do I need to buy another cable to update the firmware?

~Marc

Garmin Pilot

Do you have the Garmin Pilot App on your phone or iPad? it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can update the GDL on the Connex menue of Garmin Pilot.

Nope

No Garmin app on the phone; that's why I bought the 796 as it has a much larger screen for use as a back-up GPS.

I'll contact Garmin in the morning and see what they say.

~Marc

I have a 796 and a GDL-39-3D. I was going to update the firmware for the GDL-39 but I can't figure out how to do it. I bought it new but can't find a data cable to plug in to the GDL. I have the power/data cable for the 796, but nothing fits the GDL. It works great as a blue tooth ADSB receiver, but it doesn't look like you can update via blue tooth. Do I need to buy another cable to update the firmware?

~Marc

Hello Marc,

No problem updating the GDL 39 3D from your 796.

If you have installed Aera 796 V5.20, it will automatically download V4.80 software to the GDL 39 over RS-232 or Bluetooth.

The following power/data cable connects the Aera 796 to the GDL 39.

cf-lg.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Shouldn't I see something that indicates the GDL 39 is being updated via blue tooth? When the 796 is plugged into my PC, the blue tooth light goes out on the GDL39.

~Marc

Hello Marc,

No problem updating the GDL 39 3D from your 796.

If you have installed Aera 796 V5.20, it will automatically download V4.80 software to the GDL 39 over RS-232 or Bluetooth.

The following power/data cable connects the Aera 796 to the GDL 39.

cf-lg.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Shouldn't I see something that indicates the GDL 39 is being updated via blue tooth? When the 796 is plugged into my PC, the blue tooth light goes out on the GDL39.

~Marc

Hello Marc,

You will update the 796 with the computer which will then update the GDL 39 when the 796 is disconnected from the computer. The 796 Datalink information page will show you download progress and current GDL 39 software version.

Please contact us via phone or email shown below. Internet forums are not the most efficient way to receive this type of customer support.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Marc,

You will update the 796 with the computer which will then update the GDL 39 when the 796 is disconnected from the computer. The 796 Datalink information page will show you download progress and current GDL 39 software version.

Please contact us via phone or email shown below. Internet forums are not the most efficient way to receive this type of customer support.

Thanks,
Steve

I did send an email Steve, and this was the response I got from Mike Huff:

"The GDL 39 is upgrade through the 796.

Reference page 189-190 in the 796 Pilot's Guide. Please read caution on page 190."

I looked at the referenced pages and tried to update the unit via blue tooth but couldn't see how to specify the update for the GDL-39. In addition, there is no specific information in the referenced pages of the 796 on how to accomplish the update (short of purchasing the $70 power cord that my 796 did NOT come with), eg: do I go to the GDL page for the update while I have the 796 connected?

As I type this I'm on hold with Garmin at the number you provided. The phone message says the wait time will be over 30 minutes.....::
confused:

I was hoping that someone on VAF and worked though this and could give me a more succinct answer on how to proceed.

regards
~Marc

Got it!

I finally got through on the phone and a tech walked me through the update process. I never would have figured out the process and the manuals (796 and GDL-39) are woefully lacking in that regard.

In any event it's done so if anyone else out there has this problem let me know; I'm what you call an "expurt" now! ;-)

~Marc

I finally got through on the phone and a tech walked me through the update process. I never would have figured out the process and the manuals (796 and GDL-39) are woefully lacking in that regard.

In any event it's done so if anyone else out there has this problem let me know; I'm what you call an "expurt" now! ;-)

~Marc
Would you be able to post your "expurt" knowledge on the process you followed here?

Would you be able to post your "expurt" knowledge on the process you followed here?

Sure. The GDL39-3D gets updated via a bluetooth connection to the 796. First you download and install the web updater from the Garmin site. Then connect the 796 to your PC (sorry I don't do Mac) and open web updater. There will be a link to install the new software. Also look for additional software.

You will update the 796 first, then disconnect it from the PC. Connect the GDL-39 to it's charging cord as it won't update while running on battery power. Turn it on and establish a blue tooth connection with the 796. The update will happen automatically and you can watch the progress on the 796.

That's the easy version. If you need to check the software version of the GDL39 you do it on the 796.

-Marc

Last edited:
Back