What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool recommendations ?

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I'm looking at the Brown, Avery, Isham and Cleveland starter tool kits.
Anyone have any opinions and/or reasons to get one over the other?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Great question..... I was thinking the same thing. I have started to lean towards Cleaveland because 1.) Seems like a great small company that is very involved in RV's 2.) I like the fact that they carry Sioux and the DRDT-2, and allow upgrades to those or other items.

I have not ordered yet either, so I'm curious to hear what others have to say about their decision making process.

Great question..... I was thinking the same thing. I have started to lean towards Cleaveland because 1.) Seems like a great small company that is very involved in RV's 2.) I like the fact that they carry Sioux and the DRDT-2, and allow upgrades to those or other items.

I have not ordered yet either, so I'm curious to hear what others have to say about their decision making process.

I bought most of my tools from a fellow VAF member... but I've purchased small add-ons from Isham and Cleveland so far. Both shipped in hours, and I'm happy with what I received. :)

Anyone else?

have and opinion on tool kits to get started with.
Got the garage cleared, built an EAA work bench today, ready to get some tools and get started...

Last edited:
All of them are great tool houses. I would suggest a look at Avery. I bought almost everything from them. Good people. A friend of mine in Europe prefers Cleveland and I am ordering tools for him as he requested. From Cleveland Tools.

One other thing...

Do people prefer the 2x or 3x rivet gun? I don't have a lot of experience, but I used a 3x gun and it seemed that in less than a second, rivets were set. I can see how this could be hard to control. Would the 2x gun offer more control and still be able to set the larger rivets adequately?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the Avery kit. I deleted a few items that I already had and they still gave me the discount. Since then I have ordered several more times from Avery and also bought some things from Cleaveland.

I don't think you need to over think this, all of the tool suppliers you have mentioned are good choices.

I deleted the extra bucking bars and went with just the tungsten bar. Ended up picking up some similar steel bars at Harbor Freight for much less money, but I hardly ever use them. Definitely spring for the pneumatic rivet squeezer with adjustable set and multiple yokes. I already had some of the files, metal snips, pop riveter and safety glasses. Things to add to the order would be a single offset rivet set, tubing bender, snap-socs (rivet set caps), tank dimple dies, rivet removal tool, torque seal, boelube, rivet fan, oops rivet kit and extra consumables like the mini scotchbrite deburring wheels and maroon pads.

I'll make you an offer.
1/2 price
1 ea

3 pc step drill kit $61.95
Rotabroach Hole cutter $69.95
12 pc 1/8" shank carbide burr $85.95
1-1/2" tatco hand squeezer $134.95
19 pc rivet squeezer set kit $84.95
90 Deg. drill att kit $119.95
29 pc HSS Fractional set $73.95
6" safety wire pliers $86.95
Metal vacuum $49.95
Sioux mini palm drill $208.95

Total $977.50
Yours for $500.00
All new
Call Roy
(817) 253-1795

Do people prefer the 2x or 3x rivet gun?

Tom -

I started with a 2x rivet gun, then tried a 3x. I much prefer the 3x gun. I'll also suggest using a pressure regulator on the air line supplying the gun. You don't want to be hitting AN3 or AN4 rivets with 100psi at the gun. Vary the pressure according to the rivet diameter, length and parts being riveted - massive assemblies (joining ribs to spars) benefit from more line pressure than lighter, flexible assemblies (ribs & skins). The line pressure also affects trigger-feel, which affects control - both physical control of the gun, and your ability to tease the trigger. There will be times when you want to just tap the rivet with just one hit before you hit it hard enought to set it - can't do that with much finesse with the trigger at 100psi.

The little brass needle valves that some folks prefer affect air pressure by limiting air flow. It's a valve, not a regulator, so when you release the trigger, the gun goes back to full line pressure. Some folks like 'em - I found that a real pressure regulator much more friendly.

Personally, I recommend finding pneumatic tools used if you can (yardstore.com is a good place).

Then, using the kit list from one of those guys, go out and buy whatever else you think you need to get started.

You may find you never need something, so why buy it until you do? (The only issue with this is that you might be waiting for a tool to continue working).

All 3 of those kits have things in them I would rarely if ever use (tin snips, airflow restrictor, manual squeezer, and cframe riveter (recommend the DRDT-2 instead) for example).

Do people prefer the 2x or 3x rivet gun?

When we taught classes we found that 2 out of 3 students had better results with the 2X gun. Each hit is lighter giving you a larger margin of error. With a little practice most like the 3X gun because it hits harder and slower resulting in setting a given rivet with fewer impacts. A good quality trigger makes a big difference in the controllability of the gun.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

Mike

Tool List

Hello all, I am new here. I have always wanted to build so now after thinkin long and hard I believe im gonna give it a go. I am gonna do the pay as you go thing so is there somewhere I can find a list of tools needed for each stage of the build i.e. the emp, wings, fuse? Any info you guys can give me would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Just starting out

MTC - I'm just starting a 9 tail kit. I have a band saw, drill press, bench grinder and sander, snips, counter-sink and squeezer. Other than that, I bought what I believe is a complete set of starter tools including a 2X gun and pneumatic drill for around $800. The kind folks at Avery gave me an 8% total discount, free FedEx shipping and sent the order out same day. I am a complete newbie to this forum and RV building but I thought those on a budget might be interested.

Glad to be here and look forward to building my 1st RV.

Use Cleaveland dies

Although I'm sure most of the tools are of similar quality, the Cleaveland dimple dies are superior, IMO. I've seen the results from other dies and they don't create as "crisp" a dimple.

Good luck.

I've purchased tools from all the vendors mentioned in this thread, and I've had positive experiences with each and every one of them. Face it... there are just a lot of very good people in the world of RV's and that includes the vendors. So shop around and take advantage of sales and specials. You can hardly go wrong. YMMV but that's my experience. At least when it comes to tools.

I might also add that I watched the classifieds and followed auctions on eBay and purchased some very good used tools at much less than you'd pay for new. It's worth the effort, in my humble opinion, if you're budget-minded. The good sellers offer returns with no questions asked if you aren't happy, so I thought I'd give it a try. It worked well for me.

For those "K-Mart" shoppers...

If you are a cheapskate like me and many other builders, first make a tool list.
If you search hard enough, you can find tool content lists from the various tool kit vendors. Include vans list. Compare. Make YOUR list and go shoppin' for used stuff. Ebay has been very very good to me. Saved a ton and got more than any new tool kit. Buy a DRDT-2. If you have any vestiges of a strong handshake left, skip the pneumatic squeezer and buy a manual (such as tatco) and use the saved bucks for different jaws which you will need (no-hole, 4", longeron). You can't have too many clecos, cleco pliers, bucking bar shapes or air gun set shapes. Get or make a gun set with 3/16 hole for fitting squeezer sets in the gun. Same for bucking bar. Drill a hole in it for a squeezer set. You need about double the cleco kit qty when doing wings. Extra C-Sink cages are nice so they always stay set-up for the relevant hole size. Get the pop rivet dimple tools for AD3 and AD4. They will be usefull a couple of times when NOTHING else will work.

He who dies with most tools, wins....:eek:

YMMV. Have fun.

Last edited:
Back