VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 AM

Default Canopy intersection fairing

Itís that time again - laying up the canopy fairings.

Years ago on the first 8A project I used electrical tape on the canopy as the release agent. That seemed to work well but now I read the warnings from Vanís not to use electrical tape as it can cause crazing.

The instructions call for Mylar tape or release agent. Iíd be interested in what builders are doing now and what they recommend.

Carl
Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Things that have worked for me

I have used clear packing tape, Saran Wrap and the clingy static plastic used to wrap furniture when you move.
The packing tape works great but usually leaves a sticky residue you have to clean off later.
On aluminum, if the blue protective coating is still on, I will just lay up directly on that and put packing tape over any rivet lines or holes where it was removed. Works great.
A heavy coating of wax will also work, although I prefer the former methods.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
...Years ago on the first 8A project I used electrical tape on the canopy as the release agent. That seemed to work well but now I read the warnings from Vanís not to use electrical tape as it can cause crazing. ...
First I've heard of this - any idea why electrical tape can cause crazing? Something in the glue? Mylar packing tape comes from so many sources, I would struggle to ensure that it does not have the same glue as the electrical tape.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
First I've heard of this - any idea why electrical tape can cause crazing? Something in the glue? Mylar packing tape comes from so many sources, I would struggle to ensure that it does not have the same glue as the electrical tape.
This was posted on another thread - and that got me to wondering: https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Acr...ndow_Hints.pdf

Carl
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM

If you use clear packing tape, be advised that they aren't all created equal. The adhesive on some will remain on the surface rather than releasing, and it can be incredibly difficult to remove. In my experience 3M works better than anything else I've tried. More expensive, but worth it for the savings in aggravation.
600 hours as of April 9, 2018
Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM

The article that Carl linked to says not to use the tape on Lexan, but it doesn't say that for acrylic. I think that the canopies are acrylic.

Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM

I have used electrical tape in layers while doing the fiberglass work necessary to finish several canopies. Started in 1995 and others as years went by. Whats up with not using electrical tape??
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
The article that Carl linked to says not to use the tape on Lexan, but it doesn't say that for acrylic. I think that the canopies are acrylic.

Dave
Yep - that could be my mistake.

Carl