What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

STARTER/ALTERNATOR COMBO

Pman

ALL,

I'm interested to learn which starter/alternator combinations will fit and allow adequate clearance for my set up.(?) I'm building a RV8 with a Superior IO-360, 9 to 1 Cylinders, Horizontal Induction (Van's FAB Snorkel), Fixed Pitch Prop, and I have Van's supplied RV8 smooth cowl.

Before I order a starter and alternator, I'm trying to determine which Stater and 60amp Alternator would fit my engine/cowl with adequate clearance? If possible, I'm hoping to minimize the amount of fiberglass work.

If someone has experience with the above question, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Plane power alternator works fine. Skytech 149 NL works fine except you will have to cut off a couple of ears. No fiberglass mods necessary.

Thanks for the info Jon!

Sounds like a reasonable combination, and minimal difficulty.

Mike

You will be a lot happier long term with a B&C starter and alternator. They will fit fine. The 40 amp alternator will work fine with all the LED lights today, but they make a nice 60 amp alternator that I used on my RV10. It will work fine on the RV8 also

I think pretty much any starter and alternator will fit. Never head of anyone having any issues with them fitting.

As Jon said (RIP), the NL will require a small dimple in the snorkel, or cutting a tab or two off the starter housing. I did the dimple(s). And the NL is a whole lot better than the LS.

Back