What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

There I was, just sliding along...

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
No matter how long you've been flying, there's always another lesson just around the corner.

My buddy has a short grass strip at his house, across the flat part of an old cotton patch. It's about 800 feet from terrace row to terrace row, said rows forming the "threshold" at both ends. There's about 100 feet of good grass beyond a gentle terrace at one end, and then it's out between the tall trees and off into a ravine full of more trees. The other end has two gentle terraces about 30 feet apart, followed by a mowed grass bowl probably 200 feet across.

I've landed there hundreds of times in various machines, and probably 6 or 7 times in the RV-8. I don't consider it routine with the -8, picking my days (no tailwind, not hot), no wet grass, and always landing to the south, away from the ravine, as it is slightly uphill that way. None have been iffy. Here's an example from several years ago:

https://youtu.be/fdwCrLUDWbE

Yesterday, I touched down a wee bit longer to clear growing trees in the approach, now taller than what you see in the video. The distance was nothing to cause concern, and inital slowing was normal. It wasn't until late in the roll, when slowing airspeed typically reduces wing lift and allows more brake application, that I realized I was locking wheels at pedal pressures which normally result in good braking. Wound up going a little long, hopping off the two gentle terraces and into the overrun bowl. No problem, although my buddy was considerably amused as I taxied out.

The surprise? Our little 500x5 tires normally develop a good bit of rolling resistance on turf; small contact patch, high contact pressure, slight depression into the dirt. It helps slow the airplane when weight shifts to the wheels. What I failed to anticipate was that it had not rained at the strip for a month or more. The runway was hard as concrete, with a layer of dead grass and dust, and as a result, braking was remarkably poor.

One more for the mental file...

Last edited:
Wait until you land with some heavy morning dew on the grass and try braking!

And Friday night I had a really good scare. Been flying out of our grass strip for over 14 years now and never seen any wildlife except bugs. As I touched down at 10PM Friday night and the nose came down (read: all out of flying speed) there in the lights was a herd of 7 deer. I watched as they panicked running in all directions and then running BACK as I screamed NO!!

I still don't know how we missed each other and I swear one jumped over the wing. I was just reaching for the ignition switches to kill the prop as fast as I could when it was all over faster than I could write this.

Very lucky!

Vic

And Friday night I had a really good scare. Been flying out of our grass strip for over 14 years now and never seen any wildlife except bugs. As I touched down at 10PM Friday night and the nose came down (read: all out of flying speed) there in the lights was a herd of 7 deer. I watched as they panicked running in all directions and then running BACK as I screamed NO!!

I still don't know how we missed each other and I swear one jumped over the wing. I was just reaching for the ignition switches to kill the prop as fast as I could when it was all over faster than I could write this.

Very lucky!

Vic
Friday was a long day, huh? :D

Very lucky!

Vic

Welcome to our airfield anytime but the middle of the day. Except that "herd" is more like 50.

Dan,
Great post! Glad to hear that it ended well.

It is experiences like the one you described that helps us fly with a degree of humility. I don't always enjoy eating a serving of humble pie but I do appreciate the benefits of the serving.

Fly safe,
MD

I learned flying off of a private strip that belonged to my instructor and was more of dirt rather than grass so most if not all of my lands had good breaking. One early morning in Oct/Nov I flew there for more lessons with the instructor and as I landed and applied the break only to discover that I was there for a ride only watching the fence getting closer that separated the field from the road. Likely I stopped before hitting the fence but in need of clean pair of underwear. My instructor was so comfortable with this that would slide the plane side ways to get it to stop, something that I would not ever one to try. Best thing for me is just to avoid it.

Slip sliding away

One of my favorites from years ago; 727 Capt in a Pitts S1, going backwards on the runway at considerable speed in the wet grass. No witnesses to the event that got the airplane going backwards.

Landing a glider tow plane on wet grass, with about a million dollars of streamlined white plastic in front of you staged for launch, you touch the brakes and just get that slippery feeling. Gulp.

One of my favorites from years ago; 727 Capt in a Pitts S1, going backwards on the runway at considerable speed in the wet grass. No witnesses to the event that got the airplane going backwards.

Well in his 727 he had reverse thrust capability. He just figured this was how you reversed thrust in a Pitts.

Last edited:

And then he gave it a blast of throttle (reverse thrust) to stop it, taxied in and got out, casually looked at his watch and walked away as though nothing had happened? Please say yes - that would be so awesome.

Back