What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WingX on Iphone

WISC

Well Known Member
Gents I have to buy a phone and believe the Iphone is the way I need to go. I plan on using Wing X on it. Has anyone used it on the phone? I know the IPAD would be better due to the size of the screen but that presently is not in my budget. Just trying to see if it is a viable option. Thanks.

I use Wingx on iPad and iPhone. The iPhone seems to be best as a backup set of charts, but all the functionality is there, its just small. Love the product, and Hilton is constantly making updates and improvements. One of my friends does Beta testing for him, and there are lots of new features coming.

I have it on the Iphone also. (It's free to a 2nd device)..I mount it on left side with velcro and it works well. Definitely better on the IPad but it is workable and useful on the Iphone.

Idea

I use skycharts on the ipad and have been very happy for my needs and tight budger. I have an iphone 4 but never bothered to load it or any other stuff other than gyro app. Just too small to help me.

As an idea, you can get a steal of a deal on ipad 1 or 2 and if you get the 3 g enabled you get free moving map gps function without having to pay a monthly fee for any service. Leave the wifi on and you get free wifi at most fbos and hotels. Really a screaming deal. Try the apps on the phone but the ipad rocks. Go 1st or second gen with 3g for gps and you will enjoy it. The mrs can watch a movie while you fly. Great technology and the prices are great now that 3rd gen is out.

Just a thought.

WingX

Wing X is the best. I use it ALL the time. It has so many uses I could not do with out it. I have it on my Iphone. I am sure it is even better on an IPad.:)
Roy

Guys, sorry for the thread drift, but any comments comparing WingX vs. ForeFlight? I got a ride once with a pilot using WingX, looked nice but I was disappointed it didn't have a moving-map of airport taxi diagrams.

I just got a new iPad (didn't have one prior) and compared the display with the previous iPads. While you can tell the difference, it didn't seem significant to me. I certainly don't think it would be worth it upgrading, if you have one already.

WingX & Moving Map diagrams

Guys, sorry for the thread drift, but any comments comparing WingX vs. ForeFlight? I got a ride once with a pilot using WingX, looked nice but I was disappointed it didn't have a moving-map of airport taxi diagrams.

I just got a new iPad (didn't have one prior) and compared the display with the previous iPads. While you can tell the difference, it didn't seem significant to me. I certainly don't think it would be worth it upgrading, if you have one already.

Bugsy, you can get Seattle Avionics georeferencing on charts and ap diagrams but that's another subscription fee for WingX Pro or Foreflight. Last glance I think it's $74.99 a year extra.

I thought I might post here since this thread is discussing WingX. I just received the new gen3 IPad Friday and proceeded to load the 30 day trial versions of Foreflight and WingX. They both have good functionality but to be honest I do not see anything that I have not already been getting with other apps I had already been using on my computer or my 3Gs IPhone that were free. I have been using FltPlan.com, Pilot's Charts (IPhone app), Seattle Avionic's DUAT Voyager and e-sectionals from ED-IT.com for navigational aids. There are also GPS map apps like Goggle Maps, the Maps app preloaded on the IPhone, Google Earth, AOPA A/FD app, even the YellowPages app has a GPS map tool. As for weather, there are dozens of weather applications I have downloaded either on my computer or IPhone that work well also. Including my local TV station weather apps. Some of these applications have moving map functionality and weather together, some don't. Some are just sectional maps with GPS plotting. To be honest, many times I use multiple apps to access data that Foreflight and WingX have in one app but it is pretty painless with these apps to switch from one to the other when needed.

The reason I am typing this message is to say that I do appreciate Foreflight and WingX and what they are providing but I do believe there are other options out there to consider. Of course, that may all go by the wayside if the FAA, in their infinite wisdom, continues toward their plan to shut off access to the navigation data and only allow a select group of companies to "sell" this electronic navigation data.

One other note concerning WingX. After downloading their app on the new IPad I opened the moving map screen and zoomed into the sectional display. The sectional began to fracture into multiple "tiles" of one specific section of the map. Yesterday I called the Hilton software's support number. They told me they are aware of the problem and that it is something new with the IPad gen3. They are not sure what is causing it but are working on a solution. So, just in case anyone out there has purchased the new IPad be aware of this little glitch.

Last edited:
I have all three and prefer WingX

I have had Foreflight, WingX, and Skycharts for about a year --- iPad2 and iPhone. My preference is WingX and that is what I use most of the time. Foreflight is also a terriffic ap, and I will probably keep it also. Skycharts is really a good buy, but lacks a lot of the functions I like with WingX. I have the life-time Seattle Avionics geo-ref approach plates on my WingX and will be going with the SkyRadar or Navtronix ADS-B for weather and traffic, soon.

How to get on iPhone?

How do you add it to your iPhone if you already have it on your iPad? Does it require another subscription?

If you have a paid subscription

on one device (iPad or iPhone), you can duplicate it on your other device without additional charge --- having said that, I think I contacted Hilton and gave them my subscription information and they sent me a key to put it on my second device.

Works great, and I can update both units each month without any problems.

Back