What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Beer Call

I will be camping with the plane for the first time this year. I have already been told this SOS balloon is a great place to go for a cold one.

Count me in, I will already have tested it Sat and Sun.:D

This means no pie and ice cream at Sleepy Hollow?! Oh the horror!

Every year, Every night!

Best roasted corn on the cob going! Cold beer, great whitefish, burgers, Kelbasa etc. Just a great time!

Hmmm

Wait.

Did I hear someone say I'm supposed to wear my bikini to the beer call?

Just when I thought I was going to declare my intent to join the event...

I guess I've never seen you, so maybe I'm being too quick to judge. :)

M

Beer Call - Thursday Night

Definitely be there on thursday night. Heck we may be at the SOS beer tent every night.:D

Let's see, our planes don't run so good on alcohol but the pilots seem to respond nicely to it.......

Hmmmm....better test this theory out on Monday. See you there.

Let's see, our planes don't run so good on alcohol but the pilots seem to respond nicely to it.......

Hmmmm....better test this theory out on Monday. See you there.

All in the name of "research". :D

Haven't been to Osh since mid 90's. Looking forward to meeting you guys and put faces to names.

All in the name of "research". :D

Haven't been to Osh since mid 90's. Looking forward to meeting you guys and put faces to names.

Carlos, I hate to break it to you, but you won't recognize the place. And, the worst of it is ... those ice cream cones that were something like 55 cents back then are around 3 bucks now.

And forget about getting a Zaug's cold onion burger.

Sorry, dude. :D

Carlos, I hate to break it to you, but you won't recognize the place. And, the worst of it is ... those ice cream cones that were something like 55 cents back then are around 3 bucks now.

And forget about getting a Zaug's cold onion burger.

Sorry, dude. :D

Forget the ice cream, I'm a bloodhound when it comes to beer and burgers. I'll find em! :D Besides it won't be hard at all. I'll just ride the wave of RV'ers that starts moving after the airshow!

Last edited:
I don't know if I can find the tent that late on Monday night
after the concert but I bet Jarhead and Jay P can help me find it.:eek:

Planning on being there! I don't plan to stay at the concert so we (wife and I) will wonder over from the camp grounds. I have never met any of you so I will have a VAF shirt on. If you see some middle aged (old) guy and his wife walking around looking lost, it's likely us :D

Closer cold beer site

In past years one of the private home owners just outside the gate on Waukau Ave (same road as SOS) set up lawn chairs, shade canopies, and porta potties on his front lawn. The beers were still selling for $3 but you didn't have to walk 3/4 mile to get it. No bikinis either.

In past years one of the private home owners just outside the gate on Waukau Ave (same road as SOS) set up lawn chairs, shade canopies, and porta potties on his front lawn. The beers were still selling for $3 but you didn't have to walk 3/4 mile to get it. No bikinis either.

Ok, you go there and wait for us ;)

Steve,

Great beer stop on the way to SOS and on the way back
if you know what I mean.

Doug: where are you? [ed. At the REO set....arrived later. dr]

We are in the Private Party tent in the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where we were if you could not find the place.

Look for this:
IMG_0349.JPG

A closeup:
DSC_0417.JPG

This is what the drive in entrance looked like:
IMG_0348.JPG

We were in the back behind this sign:
DSC_0416.JPG

This is what we looked like early on. More people showed up later.
DSC_0412.JPG

More photos of the event at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Gary.A.Sobek/VAFSOSJuly252011

awesome turnout

Well...I didn't meet lots of people, but I did get to finally meet TK and his wife, as well as Chad Jensen, Luca and his family, Mike Starkey, DanH and a bunch of others whose names I can't recall through the beer haze. Thanks to Dan for putting a time and date on it, and I'm looking forward to the next time we get together for cocktails!

What a fun night. Not only did I have the honor of meeting some incredible aviators, builders, and "story tellers' ;) I had the high honor and privilege to help replace the light bulb in the SOS weather balloon that looms over the tents. I now have my balloon night rating. :D

Thanks to Dan H for getting the party tent!

Last edited:
Ahh, the banquet. I am not doing the banquet but I suspect many are... So I guess we'll just shoot for Wed then although it might be soggy.

Don't forget about Thursday! Doug has it on the front page. Wouldn't want you all to burn yourselves out before us late arrivers arrive!

Can't wait to hear about it Gary!

Departing for home in the morning so this is my last hoorah!! Wanted to meet so many more people so if anyone has any interest in hanging out at the beer tent, let me know. Text or call...856-625-6194

TK

Look for this:
IMG_0349.JPG

A closeup:
DSC_0417.JPG

This is what the drive in entrance looked like:
IMG_0348.JPG

We were in the back behind this sign:
DSC_0416.JPG

This is what we looked like early on. More people showed up later.
DSC_0412.JPG

More photos of the event at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Gary.A.Sobek/VAFSOSJuly252011

well shoot, I was there at the bar...saw Doug briefly...and he said people were in line to eat so I said I would come find the group later. I got distracted at the bar (not sure why?)...went and looked, seemingly everywhere, and didnt see anyone. I didnt, however, look in the private tent! Oh well, next year I guess...I was looking forward to meeting everyone.

Back